struggling writers

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by 2nd grade teach, Jan 8, 2007.

1. 2nd grade teach

2nd grade teach Rookie

Jan 8, 2007

I have a few students in my 2nd grade classroom that are way behind in writing. They really struggle with spelling, focusing their ideas, and handwriting. Do you have any ideas that I can use? I would like to work with the struggling students individually and in a small group.

I am a first year teacher, so I do not have a lot of ideas, and would love to hear some ideas. :D

3. Tbelle1035

Tbelle1035 Cohort

Jan 9, 2007

Have them begin by making "lists" rather than writing sentences.

Use a graphic organizer to get them going.

4. Dave81

Dave81 Rookie

Feb 3, 2007

Have them write in a journal every day. Put a topic on the board and have them respond to it. Keep the journal light and friendly--something age appropriate.

Also have them draw a picture and write about their picture.

5. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Feb 3, 2007

You want to encourage these kids not discourage them.... so as has been said, start small. If the child writes a word or two... praise them. Have them read what they've written.

I've found that when children re read what they have written, they will often elaborate( as in make it up) and actually end up telling quite a story.... so the problem is really getting them to express themselves on paper... I think we can encourage them in small steps and having them personalize their writing by drawing pictures....

You will get there!

6. Tbelle1035

Tbelle1035 Cohort

Feb 4, 2007

Has anyone else noticed that those students who have the most to say are the same ones who struggle with writing their thoughts down?

7. cberles

cberles Rookie

Feb 4, 2007

TOO MUCH ASSESSING? TOO HIGH OF STANDARDS??

I am a 3rd year 2nd grade teacher and was wondering what you all assess in 2nd grade for writing??

In my district we have a quarterly prompt that is given cold and are not allowed to help them at all - graded as is. We also have to have them write a reasearch paper, a compare and contrast, and an expository (how-to, informational, etc.)

All of these are expected to have at least two paragraphs to get the 80% that is considered passing. I am completely overwhelmed with how much assessing we have to do, especially when most of them come in with barely even writing a sentence!

Any thoughts or ideas to help me? Sorry to complain - it has been a very rough year so far...

Also, I agree with the earlier post of journal writing with some sort of daily prompt with a picture. I do this and they love it. However, the details and conventions do not seem to carry over...uggh!

8. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Feb 4, 2007

One word. POETRY. I have a few of these resistant writers in my 2nd grade class this year. I have struggled ALL YEAR to get them to write. About three weeks ago I started a Poetry Unit, every week we are learning about a new poet, type of poem, and then writing a poem. These kids are WRITING! :D I think the structure and relative small size of poetry makes it easier for these kids to put pencil to paper. Start with the VERY structured and short poems (haiku and cinquain) and then move to longer but still structured ones (limerick, concrete), and transition to longer free verse. My kids love it - they are writing, seeing their writing published, and seem motivated to keep going. Good Luck!