Struggling with Organization

Discussion in 'General Education' started by WaterfallLady, Jan 10, 2009.

1. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Jan 10, 2009

I am having a really difficult time organizing myself. I am especially struggling with a way to keep up with grading papers and remembering to return them. Its especially rough because I am a floating teacher.

I want to set up either stacking trays or files like "to grade" "to respond" etc. Can anyone tell me what categories they have?

Does anyone have any hints or tips for me?

3. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Jan 10, 2009

I color-code everything. I've assigned a color to each of my periods - one is red, two is blue, etc. I buy colored binder clips at Office Depot and when I've got a stack of papers for a class, I clip them with the appropriate color. I've got a set of magazine files in the same colors, and when I've got a batch of graded assignments, I drop them in that file and return stuff when I find time to do it.

4. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

Jan 11, 2009

If you're a floating teacher I would recommend an accordion file to organize your papers. If you have to take some home to grade it's easy to transport.

5. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Jan 11, 2009

I have 16 classes. I use filing folders. I label the folders by the classroom number. Then I separate them based on grade level and special ed. Each grade level has a different color. After I collect papers I grade them asap. Then I record the grade and hand them back. I created a blank spread sheet and made about 100 copies. I write the students names to the left. Then at the top I identify the room number and grade level. Just below that I write the name of each assignment and the date it was given. Then at the far right I have an average column. At the end of the marking period I will transfer the grades to the computer to submit them.

Good luck!

6. Ms.H

Ms.H Companion

Jan 15, 2009

I also find the accordian folder really helpful-- I put each set of assignments in a separate slot, and keep my grade recording sheets in there too, and record grades as I grade the papers. Then, at class time, I can pull out whichever assignments are applicable to my given class and return them (easy to remember because the folder gets too full if I don't return work).

7. fuzed_fizzion

fuzed_fizzion Comrade

Jan 15, 2009

I use a file folder or peechee for each class. I also have a couple students in each class who are responsible for passing back papers for me. To protect confidentiality, I write student grades on the last page or the back.