Structure

Discussion in 'High School' started by Aces, Jun 26, 2018.

1. Aces

Aces Devotee

Jun 26, 2018

I'm always curious about how other schools and teachers structure their classes. So tell me, how does your course schedule work per year? How many classes do students take and you teach? How do you set up grading (what's worth what)?

For us, students take 4 classes per semester, for a total of 8 classes per school year. Which actually works out really nicely for them, as they get two extra elective courses (as compared to how it was prior). As far as grading goes for me: labs = 40%, tests/quizzes = 20%, homework = 20%, final = 20%. Homework is given out on Tuesdays, and is due by Monday. Quizzes/tests are given out on Thursdays and are also due on Mondays (take home quizzes). The quizzes are basically just the section review questions from the text book, the chapter tests are the same deal. The final is straight out of the text book review questions. I hate the idea of teaching for the test, but the upper powers that be say we should be testing students. So I do. I just make it as easy as possible to pass.

Homework, yet another sore subject for me, is either a pass or fail grade. As long as they try they'll get credit and the homework returned corrected. I trust the labs more. These are hands on activities that bring science alive. So tell me...how do you do it?

3. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Jun 26, 2018

Our high school uses trimesters. I have no idea how that works, but they take a lot of classes. I only know the scheduling from the point of view of an 8th grade teacher who takes students to schedule at the end of the year.

Many of our high school students take dual credit classes as well. There are classes offered through two universities. They do those instead of AP classes.

They work on getting kids proficient to the level of passing the ACT. There are also other tests, depending on whether they are college or career path (or both) students.

4. Aces

Aces Devotee

Jun 27, 2018

We have the ap and duel credit classes as well although the trimester is interesting.

5. txbelle

txbelle Rookie

Jun 28, 2018

We have 2 semesters, broken down into 6 six weeks...report cards go out every six weeks. The high school has 8 classes a day, seniors usually don't have a first period class. Each teacher seemed to weight their stuff differently from what I noticed during my observations class. I would imagine Labs are weighted more since it was Culinary classes I mostly observed.

AP and duel credit are offered to those students who qualify. Both my older kids qualified but it was expensive to take the courses so they didn't. Mostly because my husband works full time at the university by our house (he does irrigation) and we get 80% off tuition. I'm totally taking advantage of this currently, as well as my daughter this next fall semester.

6. Helen Lowery

Helen Lowery Rookie

Jul 2, 2018

We use a quarter system and have block scheduling. Grades are due every 9 weeks with interims every 4 weeks. Block scheduling includes A days and B days. The day is broken down into four 90 minute blocks. 2nd block is homeroom and the same whether an A day or B day- so those are the only students the teacher sees everyday and students schedules are comprised of 7 classes (most are a year long).

As for grading, I teach Art, Crafts, Ceramics, and AP Art History so 60% is projects, 20% is work habits, and 20% is tests/quizzes. We also have midterm and final exams worth 20% of the semester grade.

7. Aces

Aces Devotee

Jul 2, 2018

I think our schedule is semi-unique but we really like it. We have 4 periods per day, 4 classes per semester, 8 classes per year. Two quarters per semester, 9 weeks per semester. The classes rotate everyday, so say on Monday it would be A B C D, Tuesday would be B C D A, Wednesday would be C D A B, Thursday would be D A B C, Friday would be A B C D. Then next week on Monday it would be B C D A, so forth and so on. Each class is 85mins. It works out over the long term because each school year they have 4 core classes (English, science, social studies/history, maths) as well as 4 electives of whatever they want.

Lunch is always the third block (which is a little longer for a 4th lunch period) but it also means that on Monday you might have first lunch, on Tuesday you might have 4th lunch. So it does rotate in a way that you never always have first lunch and never always have 4th lunch. 1st lunch is always the music/art department and pe, 2nd lunch is always the history classes, 3rd lunch is always the science/math departments, and 4th lunch is always the language studies. It works out for students that it rotates, but teachers obviously always have the same lunch period (unless it's your prep period then nobody cares when you eat lunch).

8. Helen Lowery

Helen Lowery Rookie

Jul 3, 2018

Wow Aces! That IS really unique! Do students get confused by this? I can see how it might keep the days from seeming monotonous... but I though our A/B block scheduling was confusing!

It is interesting learning about how different schools around the country (and world for that matter) do things so differently. Thanks for sharing :)

9. Aces

Aces Devotee

Jul 3, 2018

There's always confusion on the first day which lasts for a couple of days from New students. Part of it is the schedule some of it is being shoved in random classes and having to get it fixed. But it only lasts for a couple days. We tradionally start on Wednesdays so then by the next Monday the kinks are usually worked out. Once students get used to it it's smooth sailing. Used to we had six periods per Year but the periods rotated weird. And students always got stuck with the same lunch which they hated.

Which the way it was before you had A days and B days. On A days you went to periods 1,2,4, and 6. On B days you went to periods 1,3, and 5 for a double period. So you always ended up with lunch as your 4th and 5th periods. So if you had English for 4th period and Spanish for 5th period you were always stuck with third lunch (which was then last). When we went to our current schedule they added a fourth lunch period to help with congestion.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
  10. Aces

Aces Devotee

Jul 3, 2018

I should also add here that our middle schools that feed into us at the time all had completely different schedule systems, and none of them matched what we were doing. So freshman coming in were always confused for ages because they weren't used to our system and had no idea what was going on. We're aided a lot now because our middle schools have adopted similar scheduling systems to ours. This was a district-wide move to have uniform scheduling across the board from middle into high school. Some of the middle schools have 4 periods like us, some have 5, but the basic concepts are the same. So incoming freshmen already have a good idea of what is going to happen with our schedule.