Striking teachers

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by subinohio, Nov 9, 2005.

1. subinohio

subinohio New Member

Nov 9, 2005

Hello everyone. I am actually a member of this forum, but I am using another name to be extra cautious.
    I am a sub at a school that is going on strike very soon. This is my second year subbing there. It is a very small district. The district is bringing in subs from another state to take the teachers' places. I am scheduled to teach there in th coming weeks but I don't know how to get out of it. I do not want to cross picket lines. I heard if we do (which I WILL NOT) we would be black balled. Then I heard that if we DO NOT cross, we will never be called as subs or be hired by the district in the future. I don't think it's fair to expect subs that live in the area who are at the school almost everyday to cross the picket lines and make enemies. I am unfamiliar with striking procedures and all of this. Can someone give me some input or advice?

3. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Nov 9, 2005

One of the reasons Unions are not popular where I live. Most of the teachers don't agree with proceedures.
    Who will black ball you? The Union? Other teachers?
    What are they supposed to do? Let the students run wild in the school without supervision?
    Sorry. Now that I've vented:
    You could make yourself unavailable. Take a trip to a family members house. Have projects that have to be done by a certain date. Tell the school you are not available until____ (whenever is past the expected end of the strikes).
    I'm not sure what else to do except show up and teach. I know you don't want to cross those picket lines, so I'm at a loss.
    I guess you need to take in who your sources for each statement were. Can you trust these words to be true?

4. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Nov 9, 2005

I was a member of the union for 26 years but I know that if I had simply flushed thousands of dollars down the toilet, I would have at least gotten some fun for my money, which would certainly be more than I actually did get from it.

But some of those union people are mean. I agree with Miss W. Go somewhere and be unavailable.

5. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Nov 9, 2005

The usual reasons to observe a picket line are: you are a member of the union, you are a member of another union that is officially observing the picket line in solidarity, or your own feeling of solidarity with the strikers. This is a free country. There should be no consequences whether you observer the picket line or not. Unfortunately, there probably will be. If you cross, you will alienate the union members. If you don't you may alienate the administration unless you can convince them you were in fear for your safety or unavailable for some other valid reason. Consider the upside and downside of each course of action, then chose.

6. gigi

gigi Groupie

Nov 9, 2005

Seems like a shame you can't do your job without feeling threatened in one way or the other.

7. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Nov 9, 2005

Gee, I hadn't heard of any Ohio schools that are about to strike. Sorry to hear about that!!
    Does your school district use an online system to secure substitute teachers? If so, you can just block out the dates that you don't want to work. I did that at the beginning of the school year and made myself available starting the middle of September.

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 9, 2005

HMMMMMM, bad bad unions- well my union made sure that my health insurance is secure, that we keep our lunch, preps and # of working days the same (the board wanted to add more time to our schedules because we must not be working hard enough even though the kids are testing at the top of the county), that I did get a raise in line with the rest of the districts in the area, yup, bad bad bad union, mean mean mean people in it. (Oh wait, I'm in it....)

And as far as kids running wild without supervision- probably not going to happen. SOMEONE will cross the picket line or administrators will have to handle it. A sub like subinohio will have to figure what's best for her in the long run. She can 'be sick', or 'out of town' or 'something suddenly came up' (that old Marcia Brady standby) OR she can cross the picket lines. Just keep in mind, subs, someday you may be a member of that very union-don't knock what they are doing to protect their hard won pay/increments/what have you unless you know the WHOLE story. That said, no one can blame you for doing what's right for you and your family- just as the union members are doing for themselves and their families.

9. subinohio

subinohio New Member

Nov 9, 2005

Thanks for every reply.
    No the students will not run wild. Subs from several states away are being brought in. I would like to teach, but I would feel terrible for crossing the line and I know it would hurt the teachers plight. I am not looking for a permanent position in this school so I really don't care about being black balled except that I would miss the kids I have gotten to know this past year. There's no way I will cross the lines, so I will figure out what to do in the next few days.

10. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Nov 9, 2005

Czacza, I can only speak for the union I know. Yours is no doubt far superior.

I used to speak highly of it, too.

11. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Nov 10, 2005

The decision to cross the picket line is a very personal and difficult one for subs and teachers. I belong to a union. I don't agree with everything they stand for, but it's the only one I can afford (there are 3 in Louisiana, two are very expensive, one is not). Honestly, I joined for the liability insurance. I personally wouldn't choose to strike, but I would support before/after school, and on every break from the students.
    My first year of teaching my principal selected me to be one of two teachers to go to the state capital to represent our school in a "discussion" on teacher pay. I assumed this was an official request. It turned out to be a rally led by the unions with teachers picketing the front steps of the capital building. Things got really ugly really quickly. When the Governor came out to speak he was booed and things were thrown. I spent the day sitting on the steps of a nearby building. I fully supported the raise the teachers were going after, but I did not agree with their method and I was furious with my principal for not being upfront about what was going on.

12. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Nov 10, 2005

Of course I know the kids won't run wild. It was just a given statement like: "Duh, how else are we supossed to supervise the kids?"
    If you're close to the State line, could you go and sub in another state? Or would that be too much paperwork to go through?

13. subinohio

subinohio New Member

Nov 10, 2005

Yes, I do sub in the state next door. I got a teaching license there last year. I have been subbing there on occasion and I will surely sub there more often if the strike does happen. The state next door has an automated calling thing (whatever if it's called) so it's not an actual person who I can call and beg for work. The district I sub for right now that may strike is very good at calling me daily and months,days and weeks in advance. I am actually pretty much a building sub who is always here. Hopefully the automated sysstem calls me more often, that district does pay about double than the district that may strike. So only working only a few days a week will make up for the daily work I get at the striking school.

14. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Nov 12, 2005

Here, we have only one union we can join, and, while I'm not really involved with it's functions and the work it does for us teachers, I gladly pay my dues every year. It's worth it, if only for the liability insurance that comes from belonging to the union. However, I do appreciated the negotiations that the union does for us teachers by way of salary, benefits, schedules. But, yes, it's also very expensive...I pay more for my union dues out of every pay than I do for my family's health and life insurance!

I wouldn't cross a picket line. Any picket line, even if it was a grocery store worker's picket and not one of my own career. My dad is big in his union and I was just raised to feel that it's a disrespect to that striking person and his/her issues to cross a line.
    Kim

15. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Nov 12, 2005

subinohio - Are the negotiations continuing or are the two sides at a stalemate? I have noticed around here that the news will report that teachers at a particular school are going to strike. Then things get settled at the last minute. I hope that happens where you are at!

16. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Nov 12, 2005

My dad's school has been without a contract since June and talks are going nowhere...I have a feeling he'll be striking soon:-(

17. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Nov 12, 2005

Is he in the same area as where you live?

18. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Nov 12, 2005

No, he teaches in Mullica Hill...about 20 minutes from where we live.

19. radan2

radan2 Rookie

Nov 13, 2005

As for your worry about being blackballed by the administration as a sub if you don't cross the picket lines, that will depend a great deal on how plentiful subs are in the district.

In this district, subs are so scarce that when flu went through the faculty of one school, people from the county office were sent to watch classes because there was no one else available.

Jim Wayne

20. MisterG

MisterG Comrade

Nov 13, 2005

Hmmm, I dont know what to say. Id say talk to the unions because as a sub, you work along side the union workers and all, they should be able to see your situation. Ask the principal(s) too, see what they say?

21. Rosieo

Rosieo Enthusiast

Nov 14, 2005

We are not allowed to strike here, it is against the law to do so. Subinohio I feel for you. It is atough decision to make. Hopefully things will get settled soon.