Strike?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by mathteachertobe, Jul 16, 2014.

1. mathteachertobe

mathteachertobe Cohort

Jul 16, 2014

Contract negotiations do not seem to be going well. Anyone out there who has gone on strike? How quickly did it resolve, and were there significant repercussions to workplace morale once you came back?

3. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Jul 16, 2014

I have gone on strike in another industry for over 5 months. Horrible experience, will never do it again. Workplace returned to normal fairly quickly afterwards.

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 16, 2014

We had a one day walkout during the 2012-2013 school year. We spent much of that year engaged in a variety of job actions--working just to contract hours, no extra-curricular activities, no field trips, etc. It was a tough, tough year for everyone. The possibility of a full-blown strike was always there. A contract was imposed, but animosity lingered. We're facing another contract negotiation beginning late this summer--not looking forward to it.

The upside--everytime I have been through this, administration support has been incredible!

5. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Jul 16, 2014

We can't strike here. During our last (and very tense) contract negotiations, Mayor Rawlings-Blake basically said there would be complete chaos in Baltimore if the city had to close down all of their schools for any amount of time. Our Union agrees that striking would not be best for the city (while they asked us to come out and support a recent strike of workers at John Hopkins Hospital).

When the district and union can't reach a deal, they just continue to negotiate once the old contract expires and teachers just "agree" to continue to work until things are worked out between both sides. A few years ago, we went at least a year without a deal being reached but once it was the district paid us our back pay from our raise. No probs.

6. geoteacher

geoteacher Devotee

Jul 16, 2014

Illegal in my state. The last time it happened, everyone involved lost his/her job:(

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 16, 2014

NJ teachers can't strike, but we do take job actions....it's effective.

8. Reality Check

Reality Check Habitué

Jul 16, 2014

Most of the unions in Pennsylvania have lost the guts to call a strike anymore. Strikes have become empty threats and mostly a saber-rattling tactic. It could be that's what's going on in your situation.

When I was in the city, the union weaseled around having an actual strike that had any real impact; they called it for 3 p.m. on a Friday and "miraculously" settled Monday morning - which was an inservice day. They were afraid of repercussions of a real strike - but the union had the nerve to say they still flexed their muscle with the bogus "strike" after it was over.

Since the state took over the city schools, it's now illegal for the teachers union to strike - and that's worked out real well for employees :rolleyes: ...........they're going on two years now without a contract because there's no urgency for the city to settle with them.

:dizzy:

9. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jul 16, 2014

We had a district near Cleveland strike last year. It was awful, mostly because their "demands" were ridiculous. Things still haven't returned to normal. One woman said the teachers at her school have been very catty.

10. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 17, 2014

Contract negotiations got very nasty two years ago. It's illegal to strike in my state, and things were pretty awful that whole year.

We tried working to contract... then were informed of a loophole where we could be required to stay after school for as long as they wanted, at any time.

Several schools cancelled weekend activities, which they could not require us to attend... that got parents very, very angry and they flooded the DO with calls and emails.

We protested after school hours outside the DO, flooded SB meetings, and had the media there... then SB called the police to "contain the crowd" and inadvertently gave themselves seriously bad press.

It was a full year of intense emotions, arguments, and bitterness. Quite a lot of things were worked out (including salary, benefits, and requirements to stay after school). Things are much better now but there is still a deep distrust of our top people in the DO.

11. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Jul 18, 2014

[​IMG]

Oh, yes we did!

Chicago was on strike for 2 weeks in 2012, and while it was some of the worst days of my life, I would do it again in a heartbeat if I had to. It was absolutely physically exhausting. I underestimated how worn out I would be. But it still makes me smile to think that nobody believed we would actually do it. Putting 400,000 students out of school sure got everyone's attention.

I think things went back to normal pretty quickly. People were negative and suspicious of central office, but they always have been.

12. Froreal3

Froreal3 Companion

Jul 19, 2014

It's illegal here for us to strike.

13. mcqxu

mcqxu Comrade

Jul 19, 2014

Yup. Very close to me- lasted for about 2 months! They seriously harassed teachers who were substituting for them during that time as they were walking in the buildings, as well as many other unprofessional actions.

I think the good thing that came about from it was many surrounding districts in the CLE area have reached agreements more or less amicably with their boards since then. No one wants to see that happen again!

14. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jul 19, 2014

Yeah I actually used to live in the district when I was a kid, but I went to a private school. Some parents I know are still very upset about the whole thing. BF's cousin was a senior last year. It was awful.

I'm thinking if a district outside of Columbus doesn't back off, they'll have a strike. That's one I can support too.