Stressing about progress..

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by teacherhoosier, Sep 9, 2012.

1. teacherhoosier

teacherhoosier Companion

Sep 9, 2012

Starting Week 5 of school tomorrow..already starting to stress out about my kids' progress..

Compared to my classes from you know what the past two years, I have a well-behaved class,and they are sweet kids. But man, are they low....

Out of 19 kids, 5 have either been retained in K or 1st. 2 of those, after K and 1st, are just reading a D5. One of them, after two years of kindergarten, can only read a C4. After two years of K, one still only knows a few letters or sounds. We are working on getting him into the moderate classroom at another school since his needs obviously are not be.

Then I have about 10 who are at a C or D but haven't been retained, a retainee reading at a G, and two at an I/J. What a spectrum!

This is my first year in 1st-I have taught K the last 2 years. I know they will grow, but coming in so low, I don't know if they'll meet our benchmark (J is preferred, I is acceptable at the end of 1st grade in our school corporation).

Hopefully, once I get them in guided reading groups on Wednesday, I will feel a bit better about things...

3. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Sep 11, 2012

I don't know the levels to which you are referring, but my class this year is well-behaved, but mostly very low as well. There is a huge amount of growth in 1st grade. Last year, I was so afraid for my kiddos, that I referred 6 out of 20 to be considered for special education. One child moved, and 3 were approved for special ed. The other two got a VERY slow start, but then took off running, and ended up reading at grade level! Take a deep breath and relax. Actively monitoring their progress and teaching to their levels (which you seem to be doing) is the best methodology you could use!

4. teacherhoosier

teacherhoosier Companion

Oct 24, 2012

Well, our first nine weeks have ended...
    My 5 reading at a B or below are starting to push into D5s...They have made progress, but they are still below grade level.

I have four on an E8, six on a F10, three at an I/J..

I still have the one who should be in a MO room..he's finally been labeled special ed again..not much progress with him, but after 2 years of K and only being at a prek level, it doesn't suprise me..

I have one who was retained in K 2 years..she only went from a C4 to a D6...starting to put RTI into place for her and looking into testing..

So, some things to celebrate, some things to be stressed out about...

5. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Oct 24, 2012

You have made quite a lot of growth already and have 3 that are at year end goals in reading. That's awesome!

Keep doing what you are doing with a special focus on those kiddos making less growth! Good luck!

6. teacherhoosier

teacherhoosier Companion

Jan 11, 2013

Well, we are one week after the new year, and I have seen changes these last few months..

3 at an E (these are the ones I want to retain), 2 at an F, 5 at a G/H, 5 at an H/I, and 3 at a K...

Good progress made, but still a long way to go, especially in fluency/comprehension..

7. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jan 11, 2013

Your students have come so far! I would celebrate! You had virtually non readers at the beginning of the year, and now all your students are reading!

You have about 8 students who are already meeting end of year measures even though you are only half way through the year!

8. teacherhoosier

teacherhoosier Companion

May 2, 2013

Update: time is winding down..only 14 days left for us, and we're going to the zoo tomorrow, so really only 13...
    The title 1 ladies started assessing my kids today..got 7 out of 19 done..so far all of them are reading at a J or above!

Now they haven't pulled the two I plan on retaining yet, one I just got, and one that will be eventually special ed and is really struggling..but I know they have made gains, even if it isn't grade level..I think the rest they have to test will be on grade level but we'll have to wait and see..

9. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

May 2, 2013

Congrats!

10. teacherhoosier

teacherhoosier Companion

May 8, 2013

Well, we are done with benchmarking...10 days left..Looking back at my first post, it's amazing to see how far they've come.. I ended up with two at a G(retaining these two), one at a H (one that just moved in a few weeks ago), three I's (one of them is special ed and another one will eventually be), three Js, six Ks, 2Ms, and 1 O.

Looking back, I'm not really sure how we got there, but I guess I did something right along the way!