Stressful Situation! Advice Needed!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by NewTeacher05, Jul 26, 2013.

  1. NewTeacher05

    NewTeacher05 Rookie

    Joined:
    Aug 10, 2011
    Messages:
    67
    Likes Received:
    0

    Jul 26, 2013

    Hello!
    What would you do in this situation?

    Background: I accepted an at-will position at a brand new charter school. Because they did not provide me much details at the time I was hired and I did not complete any pre-employment processes, I was waiting to tell my current public school where I have been a TA for the past 2 years. Beginning of July, my TA school offers me a teaching job. Both schools would have been good choices for me, but I decided to pick my TA school.

    Situation: The public school district HR has yet to contact me and officially offer me the job, if my P recommended me when he said he did, it has been more than week. The charter school is beginning to require me to go through the pre-employment processes and get fingerprinted. That was actually due today and when they called and asked about it, I made up some excuse and said I was busy with work and I would get it done beginning of next week.

    I have asked my P this week when he thinks I would hear from HR as I have to let the charter school know (he knows about the other job), and he all he said was: They are completing pre employment processes, so you have the job. I have called district HR and got the usual, we will call you if you are recommended for a job type response.

    My plan of action right now is this: If I do not hear from district HR by Tues, go get the fingerprints done, if I do not hear from district HR by August 1st, tell my P the charter offered me something better when I told them about the other job, I had to do this for my family, hope you understand, etc.

    What would your plan of action be?
     
  2.  
  3. SPEDteach1017

    SPEDteach1017 Rookie

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2013
    Messages:
    30
    Likes Received:
    0

    Jul 26, 2013

    I get the feeling you want the position where you worked as a TA more, and it doesn't seem like the P there is being untruthful about you getting the position. I think HR can be slow and possibly backed up this time of year.

    I would wait it out a little longer, and plan what you will tell the charter school, so they can look for someone else.

    Worst case scenario, you still have employment within the district, right?

    Think about the big picture... Do you really want to be at the charter school in the long run? If the answer is no, tell them, and wait on the district. Hope this helps!
     
  4. Rebel1

    Rebel1 Connoisseur

    Joined:
    Jul 22, 2008
    Messages:
    1,522
    Likes Received:
    0

    Jul 27, 2013

    You already gave the Charter school an excuse, which was not true(?), and it shows you don't really care about that job. I hope the public school comes through for you.
    Good luck.
    Rebel1
     
  5. CreativeTeachR

    CreativeTeachR Companion

    Joined:
    Feb 3, 2013
    Messages:
    135
    Likes Received:
    0

    Jul 27, 2013

    Be very careful with the charter school!! I just got slapped in my face with a job offer that got taken away from a charter school that is opening!!! The principal was very cold, untrustworthy and unresponsive to my emails! My advice stick with your current position! and run far away from the charter school FAR FAR away
     
  6. Luv2TeachInTX

    Luv2TeachInTX Comrade

    Joined:
    Aug 4, 2012
    Messages:
    332
    Likes Received:
    48

    Jul 27, 2013

    If your P recommended you, you have the job. Like another said, HR is most likely backed up right now. I know it took a bit from my job offer to when I heard from HR. Just try and relax-you're hired!
     
  7. AlexaD

    AlexaD Companion

    Joined:
    May 2, 2012
    Messages:
    107
    Likes Received:
    0

    Jul 27, 2013

    Ditto what Luv2TeachInTx said. Congrats!
     
  8. AdamnJakesMommy

    AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2012
    Messages:
    919
    Likes Received:
    40

    Jul 27, 2013

    Why not just go ahead and do all the stuff the charter school is requiring--you said it is "at will" so, what difference does it make if you go through with the fingerprinting and stuff?? That way if your current district does NOT come through for you, you still have a job with the charter school. If you keep procrastinating with the charter school, they may can you before you have something OFFICIAL with your current district, and then what happens if budget cuts or something leaves you without a teaching position there?
     

Share This Page

Members Online Now

  1. Kelster95,
  2. Eric Matyas,
  3. MrsC,
  4. Backroads
Total: 504 (members: 4, guests: 489, robots: 11)
test