Stressed

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by green78, Apr 13, 2011.

1. green78

green78 Companion

Apr 13, 2011

I have been trying fora while now looking for a teaching job in NJ. I have my CEAS in p-3 and teacher of students with disabilities. I just can't seem to land the job.
    I should be happy I have a job at a private school in PA. I am a teacher for behavioral Autistic children. I have one student in my class because his behaviors are so bad we can not have him with other students. I am at my whits end. I can not take it anymore. It does not matter what we do to make him happy the still goes off because all he wants to do is go home.
    I really need to find a new job. I am 3 months pregnant and scared everyday at work because he know I can not do the CPI. I really need to figure something out. If anyone has any ideas please help me. I am at the point where I am thinking of a career change.

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Apr 13, 2011

I'm so sorry that you are feeling this way. This is exactly why I left the alternative school that I was working at.

Have you let your administration know your feelings yet? Maybe they could switch you with another teacher or provide an aide or someone else to be with you?

Will you be working with this child next year if you stay at the same school or will the students change with the changing grades?

4. green78

green78 Companion

Apr 13, 2011

I am stuck with this student until he graduates. My supervisor knows how I am feeling and knows I am looking elsewhere. We got a new student about a month ago and thought I would get that class, but my supervisor said it would be too much work to switch everything for the IEP.

5. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Apr 13, 2011

Oh my! Well, then I would keep looking but no that you are in this situation. Can you afford to leave the classroom for awhile?

I would stay places where there are always other adults near so that you can call for help and be sure to stay near a call button or phone just in case. I remember this fear and am so glad that I moved districts!

6. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Apr 14, 2011

green~does your supervisor know your pregnant?

7. green78

green78 Companion

Apr 18, 2011

YES

8. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Apr 18, 2011

I'm sorry you're in this position, green. I work with the same type of students you do. I pretty much have given up the idea of getting pregnant until I can find another job because there is just too much to deal with at this school. Every day I wonder if I'm going to go home injured. Hope everything works out for you.

9. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Apr 18, 2011

Would it be feasible for you to move states? There are some states that actually have an excellent market for special education teachers. In my home state, the market was absolutely flooded (a result of everyone saying special ed. was the one place to find jobs for years on end) but when I started looking out west I landed a job as soon as I started looking. I've heard this is true for places in the south as well, but I didn't specifically look there so I can't say that for sure. I had a friend that got a job in North Carolina very easily.

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 18, 2011

Njhire.com

11. roseteacher12

roseteacher12 Habitué

Apr 18, 2011

it seems that now that you have to pay to use njhire there arent as many postimgs as when it was free. you can still view jobs but not always all the details and you cant apply through the website anymore. i always find the best place to look in my area is the star-ledger newpaper

12. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Apr 19, 2011

How sad that teachers are facing injury just to have a job. I am sorry... but what about our rights? Can't you do a refusal to teach? We have a law in Texas that states if the child is in danger of harming other students, teachers, or himself that the teacher can refuse to teach based on those grounds. It is hard because you have to admit that you have no control over the situation, but let's face it... you don't.