Stressed Out Student Teacher

Discussion in 'Multiage' started by jeni8601, Jan 5, 2014.

1. jeni8601

jeni8601 Rookie

Jan 5, 2014

Hello everyone! This is my first post on this site, but I have been lurking around for months now. I am looking to get as much advice as possible here because I am terrified of the next few months, where I will be student teaching.

Last semester, I was in the classroom that I will be student teaching in as an observer/co teacher. I know all the children well, and they love me. I understand their different personalities, and most of their learning styles/needs....Heres my issue.

My co teacher (CT) never gave me any expectations. I asked her once what she wanted, and she just said "I'm laid back. You can do whatever you choose when you take over."

OK great, but I am a nervous wreck because this is a multiage classroom (K-1) and last semester was basically her giving the lessons, and then I would go around and help the students individually as needed. I have no idea how to manage a classroom with several different levels of learning. I know to implement small group activities, but what do I do with the groups that are not with me?

My CT seems to have it under control but I find that she has lazy tactics and does not include the fun activities that I want to do. She just kind of explains it to one group, while the other groups are journaling or playing with tan-grams.

I know I should continue with a lot of her classroom management, as I don't want to complete switch it up, but how can I manage this classroom when I am taking over towards the end of the year?

How should I begin? Should I have my own classroom rules? Should I change up the way the whole class/small groups are? How do I decide where to start as far as content goes?

AHHHHH I am freaking out here! Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

3. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jan 5, 2014

Your content starts where hers leaves off. I would not change classroom rules or routines. If you'd rather them do something hands on instead of journaling, then teach them how to do the hands on activity independently. Have you discussed with your CT why she does the things she does?