Stressed! Can somebody help? Need first grade lesson on topographic map

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Upsadaisy, Apr 19, 2013.

1. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Apr 19, 2013

Play Doh maps would be fun and certainly easier than, say, paper maiche.

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 19, 2013

Is this in your curriculum? Seems not DAP for grade one...hands on s better than the maps.

4. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Apr 20, 2013

1st grade students are not going to be able to have the fine-motor skills to cut Styrofoam into the correct way to complete a topographic map. I like the play dough idea, but the lesson idea might be completely lost on them if you give it to 1st graders (I use play dough to make a metamorphic rock with my 3rd graders and I have issues of them getting the point ;) ).

This site gives a bunch of ideas- http://education.usgs.gov/lessons/teachingtopomaps.html but mostly for higher grades. Check what your standards are saying 1st graders need to know- probably just the basics- and stick to that :) Future teachers will build on top of that learning that you set down as a foundation.

5. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Apr 20, 2013

If you must have them make their own, keep it super basic. I second the playdough suggestions. Have they had a lot of experience touching and looking at topographic maps?

What about making a class map of the playground? You could do an aerial view and the kids could build various structures.

6. Major

Major Connoisseur

Apr 20, 2013

I wouldn't begin to know how to teach this to "first graders" but the subject is fascinating. In the Rockies I live and breathe topo maps during my hikes and jeeping trips..... Wish I could sit in with you when you do the the topo project ............ Good luck.

7. mkbren88

mkbren88 Cohort

Apr 20, 2013

I've created salt dough landforms with my students when we talked about landforms, you could try that. It is easy to make and it dries fast. I never taught my students about topographic maps when I taught first.. Is that in your curriculum or standards?

8. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Apr 22, 2013

Enchanted Learning has a pretty good lesson about topographic maps that I was able to do with my sp. ed. middle school kids that functioned around third grade level. That seems really hard for first grade!

9. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 22, 2013

I'd consider using something like Model Magic to make a very simple mountain shape; use a skewer or something to make a hole in the middle to help with centering. Once the mountain is dry, slice it into four or five horizontal slabs. Show the kids the pieces all neatly stacked together on the popsicle stick, then take it apart and show them how , with the skewer as center, you can trace each slab's outline from largest to smallest on a piece of paper to build up a topographical map of it.

You could also check the educational Web sites of either the US Geological Survey or National Geographic for kid-friendly explanations of topo maps: someone's bound to have one.