Stress

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by Guest, Aug 27, 2002.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Aug 27, 2002

School starts next week and I have yet to receive a scheudal of specials, or what time they lunch and recesses? Don't most schools distribute this inform weeks before school starts?! I want to plan out my day, but i cant figure things out w/o knowing when they are going to be at art, pe, etc....am i alone in this...or are other people stressing out too?

3. AJK

AJK Pre-k Montessori Teacher

Aug 27, 2002

Ha! I didn't get mine until 4 days before school starts. Most schools I know work this way. I just mentally planned out a few different schedules (if specials are in the morning then this...)

4. Margo

Margo Devotee

Aug 27, 2002

Be glad that you get yours before school starts. We got ours the first day teachers reported to school - 2 days before the kids. No time to plan ahead.

5. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Aug 27, 2002

I didn't have mine until last minute either.... I have found in past years when I do get the scheduling info earlier it always changes anyway, so I don't bother making out my schedule till right before school starts! ;)

6. Guest

Guest Guest

Aug 28, 2002

Schedules are one thing. There has been times when my class roster changes through the first day of school. Impossible to make name tags, helper tags, etc.

7. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Aug 28, 2002

dismissal changes has put a terrible end to my day. The morning, afternoon go awesome, with out the 'specials' this first week my head is spinning. Then comes the HELLACIOUS dismissal. I hate that my day ends with the thirty minute carpool lane. which is improved from the two days of forty five minutes. NO planning time after school because i am dying to get home. Three days down, nine months to go. ruth

8. Guest

Guest Guest

Aug 28, 2002

Well, you are certainly not alone in this at all! I was NEVER told. I had to go around and ask another teacher what time things were. And, if it makes you feel any better, I have been in school for TWO weeks and still do not have any books!!! :) We all keep smiling though, right?

9. AngelaS

AngelaS Cohort

Aug 29, 2002

I'm with you, mommaruthie. Why is it that it takes a half hour to get all of the kids out of the classroom? 2:00- 2:30 is a time I could be using so much more productively. Planning time after school, hah.

Is it like this everywhere?

10. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 30, 2002

Actually, no, Angela. I have to sit with my class from 3:00 to 3:15. Then the after-care person takes over. I have a 15 minute break, then tutor for an hour. THEN I grade papers, etc.

11. Guest

Guest Guest

Aug 30, 2002

Nametags before the kids come?!?! I have to go & check files to find the correct spelling of the name and then if I didn't think that a name was spelled wrong I didn't check. Well I found a new way to spell Destinee: Destanie. Oh well. Dismissal is 20 min outside with the kids, then on Mondays a 5 min break before an hour long staff meeting! Then I get to go straight to my grad class!

12. emccoy

emccoy Companion

Sep 1, 2002

Relax, at my school, we get a schedule of the year's events ahead of time, but many of the things get changed in the course of things. Yeah, it would be nice to know exactly what's going happen when, but it is unrealistic.

So, I outline general lengths of time for chapters, plan a week at a time, and deal with changes by having another cup of coffee.

Now, if they ever stopped me from having coffee at my desk, that would be justification for stress.....or revolution.

Rolling with the punches to avoid being knocked out,
    Ed

13. AngelaS

AngelaS Cohort

Sep 2, 2002

I worked at a school once that said no hot beverages in the room with students- guess they were afraid of spills and lawsuits. I only stayed six months, because that was only one of their issues...

How about 'Notori' as a submission for unusual names? The little girl was named after the late rapper Notorious B.I.G.

I cracked up when I heard it. My dog's name is Notorious! (And people think THAT'S weird)...

14. Margo

Margo Devotee

Sep 2, 2002

Let's see. Last year I had Xiomayra, Yarhiel, Lydmar, Jaylemar and Zanobia. These are all girls if you are wondering.