stress?

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by emb382, Jun 8, 2012.

1. emb382

emb382 Rookie

Jun 8, 2012

I am beginning my career as a special education teacher in the fall. What are some good ways to relieve stress?

3. Ellchen

Ellchen New Member

Jun 9, 2012

Hi!
    I go for a walk for 30 minutes with another teacher at the end of the school day. We walk around the neighborhood of the school that I teach at. Sometimes, I use this time with the other teacher to talk about a student that I support. I consider this time, collaboration time with the teacher. We manage to get work and a little exercise at the same time. The teacher that I work with feels supported when I check in with her regarding the student that I support.She finds this quick exercise invigorating. She is able to go back after our walk and focus on the rest of the work that she needs to do.

One way that I relieve stress is to give myself little rewards at the end of the week. I may get a manicure at the end of the week, if it has been a tough week. I may go to a coffee shop on a Saturday and go for a walk. Every weekend, I have something to look forward to.

In terms of daily stress, I have little tricks to keep me refreshed. I keep nice smelling lotion and make-up remover facial wipes at my desk. If I need a mini-break, I use the make-up wipe to refresh and clean my face. I give myself a little hand massage with my nice smelling lotion. I will also sip on some herbal tea. I will do this during my lunch break or the end of the day. Just stop for about 10 minutes to give yourself a break. I also try not to eat at the teacher's lounge. Teacher's tend to talk about work, I need time to refresh myself for my students.

I hope these tips help. Good luck!

4. US Teacher

US Teacher Rookie

Jun 9, 2012

I would say make sure you have something you can do that you enjoy.

For example, I'm an organist. When I get really stressed I head down to the church and pull out something by J. S. Bach. It usually does the trick.

5. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Jun 10, 2012

Reading the posts on here is a stress release for me.
    Posting the 7th respond to some interesting POSTS is FUN! :D
    If it is fun and it takes my mind away from the hustle and bustle of my every day routine; what I should be doing, then it is a stress release for ME.
    Rebel1

6. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jun 10, 2012

Any particular reason for 7?

I love your post no matter what number they are :hugs:

7. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Jun 10, 2012

-It is my favorite number.
    -It has ties to a very interesting Bible discussion of numbers that we had in church a while back.
    -On the 7th day, we're supposed to rest. (I need to!:|)
    -July is one of my favorite months.
    -The idea that three 7s together is a winning combination
    -7 ate 9! (Now! That is one MEAN number!):lol:

You are too kind Swansong1:)
    Rebel1