stress

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by Nisey, Nov 20, 2005.

1. Nisey

Nisey Companion

Nov 20, 2005

what are you guys doing to handle the stress of everything? the amount of stress that is going on this year is messing me up in every possible way you can think of! any suggestions?:confused:

3. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Nov 20, 2005

Well, I don't do it, but exercise is the best.

4. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Nov 20, 2005

AND keep this motto in mind and in sight on your desk or wherever you can view it a lot throughout the day..."IT DOESN'T MATTER."

5. sdhudgins

sdhudgins Comrade

Nov 20, 2005

I'm pretty much just NOT letting things bug me, what gets done gets done, what doesn't doesn't...
    When I was in court on October 4 I saw this
    I can handle being stressed, it's just desserts spelled backwards...

so that's my new motto ;)

6. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Nov 21, 2005

There are a couple of things I do when I am stressed get my nails done and a pedicure, go shopping, read, and exercise (something I need to do more of).

7. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Nov 21, 2005

I have a high need for down time. i don't even like to do fun' things like the movies and stuff if I don't get enough relaxation time. I read, do crossword puzzles, come here, play online games.

8. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Nov 21, 2005

Oh, please give me some places to do online games! I have the entire afternoon to spend in this science room and all they're doing is worksheets and watching videos! Aaaah!

9. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Nov 21, 2005

Oh my gosh - Go to Playsite.com

I love Tangleword (like Boggle). It is on the list at top right. I'm addicted. Cascade is fun but I'm always last. Zuma isn't a word game but lots of fun. Enjoy!

10. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Nov 21, 2005

Phooey - the computer blocked me! Maybe I can take a nap during the video. I've seen it once and have to watch it two more times.

11. kburen

kburen Cohort

Nov 21, 2005

lol :) I have a cat at home that I play with...and I just got a new kitten...So playing with them helps me unwind and be more stress-free

12. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Nov 21, 2005

I'm not so much stressed with things to do, but I have noticed my patience is running a little thin lately. I think it's just that I put in 55 hours a week with 3-4 year olds, don't get the summers off, and just need a big break. I can't wait til Wed...then I'll have 5 days off and a week and a half in Dec. I just need a vacation at a Sandals Resort...that would be a nice dream vacation...no kids, just the hubby and myself at an all inclusive no children allowed resort...ahhhhh! I think no matter what job you are in, all of us need "mental" days.

13. skippy7781

skippy7781 Rookie

Nov 23, 2005

The way I deal with stress depends on the situation.I used to go sit by my pond and smell the water lillies.I would drink my cammamille tea and destress by the pond listening to the birds and creatures. When I am in townI leave my stress in the mailbox, I never take it in the house to pass to everyone else. In the middle of a situationI take a deep breath, remember the water lillies I smile and then deal with what ever it is.If I am mad. I go bowling.

14. CanadianTeacher

CanadianTeacher Groupie

Nov 23, 2005

I'm not a person who gets stressed easily, but the sustained stress of stuggling with corrupted students who think I'm the 'wicked French teacher' is finally beginning to take it's toll on me after two months. I take a deep breath whenever I can and when things are just too overwhelming, I shut myself down and just go through the motions. I become matter of fact and nothing can rouse me because I refuse to let it. That does take a lot of energy though, and I look at my time in increments of weeks. "Get through the week, then it's the weekend, start another week, etc...." Small increments, small goals to make it through. Until I can get enough time in to teach something a little more desirable to the students and rewarding to me, that's what I have to do.