Stress with interviewing

Discussion in 'Job Hunting & Interviews' started by jennabar, Jul 28, 2006.

1. jennabar

jennabar Rookie

Jul 28, 2006

So I am sure we all hate it when someone asks a question that really doesn't have an answer but I need to vent/share.....

The story is that I am a new teacher looking for a job (like many others.) I applied for a K position that I really didn't want and got an interview. I was so excited, but deep down didn't want to teach K. I did the interview and the next morning received a call that I didn't receive the position. The principal asked me to call her about some upper grade positions that may come open. Being the nice person I like to be I decided to wait until after the weekend to call her and of course she left on vacation. In the mean time a 5th grade position came open and I put in an application immediately.....Here is where I get to the question/dilemma.
    As I was turning in the application today I saw someone that was turning in one that was the long term sub in the classroom that is getting a new 5th grade teacher last year. I was a little discouraged because I know this is not a position that she really wants. So I called the principal to find out any information that I could. She gave me some really positive feedback and hinted many times that she wants me on staff and that I will get an interview for the 5th grade position. She also let me know that the panel will be the 2 5th grade teachers on staff already. One of those teachers is the other ladies Master teacher. This master teacher is also looking for another position. (Yes, I know way more than I probably should, but I have sources.)

Do you think I even have a chance with the cards stacked against me? I am trying to stay positive but it is sometimes hard. I really want to work at this school because my parents both retired from this school after 37 years of service. ARGHHHHHHHH

3. JustWondering

JustWondering Companion

Jul 28, 2006

They don't always hire the long term sub just beacuse they had the class the year before. It happened to someone I know, they didn't even get called for the interview. If the principal wants you on the staff I am sure you have a fair chance.

4. jennabar

jennabar Rookie

Aug 1, 2006

So last night I received a call from one of the other 5th grade teachers and she was called by the principal to be on the interview commitee. She accepted (yeah).

She also offered to call the old principal that I worked with and ask him to make sure that I get an interview. Recently her son applied for a job with the district and the old principal promised her that he would get an interview but he would have to earn the job on his own. Because of all the work I did with her she is sure that she can make sure I get an interview.

So do I take her up on the offer or do I go by my initial conversation with the new principal that "WE WILL BE TALKING VERY SOON". I am afraid that it could make me look bad if she was already going to give me an interview.

Any suggestions??

5. mrs.teacher5

mrs.teacher5 Companion

Aug 1, 2006

I would not wait to hear something. If you have an in use it. Principals are busy and therefore may forget what they promised/told someone. I say use your connections.

6. jennabar

jennabar Rookie

Aug 3, 2006

So I decided to not use the connection because I was afraid the new principal would be offended that she was approached.......

WELL....the good news is that I just got a call for an interview. I was the first person she called. I had my choice of times. I hate that, I am better when they tell me what time. Regardless, I am interviewing Monday morning @ 11:30am. I heard that they may ask us back to do a lesson. This is for the 5th grade position that I REALLY REALLY REALLY want.

If you have any advice, my ears are open.......

7. njeledteacher

njeledteacher Cohort

Aug 4, 2006

Good luck!!!

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 4, 2006

YAY!!! Good luck!

9. Pixiewannabe

Pixiewannabe Comrade

Aug 4, 2006

Good Luck!

10. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Aug 4, 2006

I think you have a great chance! Go into the interview with a positive attitude.

11. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Aug 4, 2006

Good lUck

12. jennabar

jennabar Rookie

Aug 4, 2006

Thanks!!!!

13. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Aug 4, 2006

That is good! Do you feel prepared for the interview? If you have questions ask away!!

14. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Aug 4, 2006

I should add I've taught 5th grade for 6 years.

15. JustWondering

JustWondering Companion

Aug 4, 2006

Congrats and review the interview practice thread, pick out your comfortable good looking interview clothes, shoes, etc. and be yourself!

16. jennabar

jennabar Rookie

Aug 7, 2006

Thanks everyone...I have read almost every thread on this board just hoping to retain some of the excellent ideas that everyone has. My mom (a retired teacher of 38 years) and I spent the entire weekend working on prepping. I am feeling pretty good but extremely nervous. I am up against some steep competition.

Goopp had the idea of taking a folder with some information about me and my teaching style to the interview. I also received a message from someone on the hiring committee that I such incorporate a list of strengths into that while explaining. I am using both of them.

mrsammieb~do you have any good words of wisdom or anything I need to keep in mind?

17. jennabar

jennabar Rookie

Aug 7, 2006

I just had my interview.....Cross your fingers and think good thoughts.

18. jennabar

jennabar Rookie

Aug 8, 2006

I went back today to teach a lesson. I just received a call from the prinicpal and I didn't get it :( I didn't get it!! I am beyond said.

19. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Aug 8, 2006

Wow! Sorry to hear that. YOu should ask the principal to offer some constructive criticism.

20. jennabar

jennabar Rookie

Aug 8, 2006

I was going to but my voice was cracking already. I will go back later and ask her when I can be more collected about it.