Strep... Maybe?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Danny'sNanny, Jan 8, 2010.

1. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Jan 8, 2010

I have 5 kids with strep, another that was out today that I haven't heard for sure, and a few more with sore throats this afternoon.

My throat was a little sore yesterday and this morning, but by mid afternoon it was killing me.

I went for a rapid strep test. It was negative. The doc said there was a good chance that I did have it and that it just hadn't progressed enough to show on the rapid test. So, she sent a culture to the lab, but that will take several days to get results!

So, I can't get antibiotics till there is a definite answer, which won't be till Monday or Tuesday.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.............. I don't WANT to have strep and need meds, but if 5 of my darlings have it....

3. Samothrace

Samothrace Cohort

Jan 8, 2010

boo. Well hopefully you can get medicine for it before it has a chance to get really bad. I learned a really gross fact about strep when my brother had it a few months ago..apparently it has a distinct smell. The nurse knew what he had before they even tested for anything!

4. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Jan 8, 2010

I'm mostly worried about missing next week.

If I do have it, I will have to be out next week until the antibiotics can do their job.

If I don't, then I'm fine with teaching without talking if I still feel crummy - I had to do a lot of that today!

5. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Jan 8, 2010

Danny, they usually run a 24 hour strep test. You should be able to get results tomorrow. I don't understand why your doc said it would take a couple of days. Hope you feel better!

6. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Jan 8, 2010

Everything is backed up because it is the weekend :(

7. 1stesl

1stesl Rookie

Jan 8, 2010

Just be careful! A few years ago, I went in b/c of a sore throat, rapid strep was negative, they sent it to the lab, meanwhile I started running fever and my throat felt worse, i could barely swallow. 2 days later, it came back that I had not one, but 2 strains of strep!

8. maebowler

maebowler Comrade

Jan 8, 2010

Check with your doctor and see if you can start medicine this weekend, so that the 24 hour period is during this weekend. If it comes back negative, you could stop, but if it comes back positive, you are good to go Monday. One summer I went into the doctor with a sore throat. The rapid test was negative but because I was going to be going to camp with a lot of other people the doctor put me on meds. Turns out I had strep and it was a good thing I had the meds. Just a thought.

9. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 8, 2010

Oh dear, take care of yourself.

10. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Jan 8, 2010

Ok, it is now up to 6 cases of strep in my class. Out of 18. Goodness...

I'm tempted to go into Urgent Care tomorrow for another quick swab...

But the two they already took were $110, I'm not sure I can throw much more money at this... So I might have to just wait till Monday

11. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Jan 9, 2010

Hopefully it isn't strep or you'll get by without getting a full blown case. Take a bunch of vitamins, get lots of rest, etc. My daughter had it a month ago and none of us got it. I had her on my lap for much of the 3 hour urgent care visit. We caught it early and she was 100% better just 12 hours after we started the antibiotics. I wouldn't worry unless you develop a fever. If that occurs, see if they'll call in the antibiotics for you.

Our urgent care visit was $275!! That was with the insurance only "allowing" probably 50% of what they wanted to charge. The rapid strep test alone was $86. Ridiculous.

12. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Jan 9, 2010

I have had rapid strep tests come back negative, only to have the culture turn positive. But my doctor also thought I had it based on the look of my throat and was surprised the culture was negative, so she handed me a script anyway, told me to start on it, and if the culture was really negative, to stop taking them. It WAS positive, just like maebowler's. The dr. told me that the rapid strep test has something like a 50% false negative rate.

13. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jan 9, 2010

I've had strep twice and never had a fever with it. I'm one of those people who rarely develops a fever for anything. Strep involves your entire body and isn't just a sore throat and fever. You'll know if you have it because your entire body will feel weak and run down. Why do they call it strep "throat" anyway? They should call it strep body.

14. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 9, 2010

Don't mess with strep...You should have found out within 24 hours whether you had it or not...Untreated strep can lead to other serious health issues. We have a student in my district who had undiagnosed/untreated strep who became very ill and is now having some academic issues due to complications from it.

15. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jan 9, 2010

I am surprised - I had strep a couple times last year and the doctor just gave me the antibiotics before the test came back - and I know for a fact that I have been a few times where the doctor didn't even bother with the test at all.