Strategy for leaving my current position at end of the school year?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by joeschmoe, Jan 20, 2014.

1. joeschmoe

joeschmoe Companion

Jan 20, 2014

My local school district has a bad habit of letting people know pretty late into the summer about vacancies. Despite this annoyance, my goal has always been to teach in this district (due to being a product of it) and the pay is one of the highest in our state.

Last summer I was picked up relatively early July at a school district that is 25 miles away. It's my first full-time gig so despite many offers from higher paying district, I felt obligated to give the district a shot since they gave me a shot.

Now we're a lil more than half way into the school year and my desire to teach locally hasn't wavered. The problem lies in how to go about leaving without burning any bridges. I mean I like my current job. Students are great, coworkers are great, my department head is great, and my admins are decent. This is why I picture leaving difficult. My admin has already talked about accounting for me in their future plan as he put it.

This is what I envision happening towards the end of the school year. My local district will wait until late July/early August and then let me know they have a vacancy. My current job starts their school year earlier than most so if I bolt, that leaves them a 2-3 week window to find a replacement. I am not quite sure if there's any way to approach this scenario without someone being upset.

I'm uncertain if I should give my department head a "heads up" that there is a slim chance I might leave. She's one of the reasons why my first year is going so smoothly so I kind of feel obligated to let her know I may not return next year. But at the same time, I feel like I need to look out for numero uno. I guess I'm not sure about her reaction and I don't want any backlash.

3. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Jan 20, 2014

Many states have rules/regulations about when you can/can't resign. Here in Virginia, I think the date to resign "without prejudice" is... May 1? After that, your principal has to approve it, or you could be penalized.

4. Hilone21

Hilone21 New Member

Jan 22, 2014

I was just roaming around in the forum and started reading this post. I'm just curious what was the decision joeschmoe made later. If I was joeschmoe I would have discussed this with the head.

5. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Jan 22, 2014

Get a high mileage car and thank God you have a great job. Keep it.

6. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jan 22, 2014

I agree with stephenpe. I would hold on to the job I like. The grass isn't always greener...

7. teacherguy111

teacherguy111 Cohort

Jan 22, 2014

I am in a similar scenario. Really the only things that make me want to leave my current job are the distance, and they overwork us compared to other schools.

But there are also many benefits.

8. joeschmoe

joeschmoe Companion

Jan 23, 2014

I understand there is safety and comfort in staying put. But whether it's now or later, I can already say it's going to happen. I know some people might get upset because we are supposed to be in it for the kids, not the money. But I need to bring in more income. On top of that, I want career growth and I know I will have more room to grow if I land a gig closer to home.

This is all obviously contingent on being offered something I want close to home. I'm not going to re-sign without a position waiting for me. The question is what is the most decent, and respectful way to do it while still looking out for myself first.

9. Croissant

Croissant Comrade

Jan 24, 2014

I've been wondering as well. Is it understandable or a red flag when you check "please do not contact my current principal?" And what if your current principal is your first and only principal?