My local school district has a bad habit of letting people know pretty late into the summer about vacancies. Despite this annoyance, my goal has always been to teach in this district (due to being a product of it) and the pay is one of the highest in our state. Last summer I was picked up relatively early July at a school district that is 25 miles away. It's my first full-time gig so despite many offers from higher paying district, I felt obligated to give the district a shot since they gave me a shot. Now we're a lil more than half way into the school year and my desire to teach locally hasn't wavered. The problem lies in how to go about leaving without burning any bridges. I mean I like my current job. Students are great, coworkers are great, my department head is great, and my admins are decent. This is why I picture leaving difficult. My admin has already talked about accounting for me in their future plan as he put it. This is what I envision happening towards the end of the school year. My local district will wait until late July/early August and then let me know they have a vacancy. My current job starts their school year earlier than most so if I bolt, that leaves them a 2-3 week window to find a replacement. I am not quite sure if there's any way to approach this scenario without someone being upset. I'm uncertain if I should give my department head a "heads up" that there is a slim chance I might leave. She's one of the reasons why my first year is going so smoothly so I kind of feel obligated to let her know I may not return next year. But at the same time, I feel like I need to look out for numero uno. I guess I'm not sure about her reaction and I don't want any backlash.