Strategies for working with ADHD students

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Christine3, Feb 15, 2009.

1. Christine3

Christine3 Cohort

Feb 15, 2009

Hey everyone- I was thinking we could start a thread for awareness on ADHD. We could do this by sharing classroom tips & symptoms they display.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2009
  3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 15, 2009

...when a medical professional has made the diagnosis after soliciting information from the parents and teachers. I don't make the decision about whether a kid is or isn't-

Saying 'what' in response consistently to a teacher's questions could be a symptom of A LOT of different things- not just ADHD.

4. MsBee

MsBee Devotee

Feb 15, 2009

I agree.

5. Christine3

Christine3 Cohort

Feb 15, 2009

This was not created to try to diagnosis our students. It was created to help teachers understand and help ADHD students.

I started out with a symptom that is very common in other disabilities, but I was directing it toward ADHD.

6. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Feb 15, 2009

If the symptom is so common to other disabilities, how can you "know" that the kiddo has ADHD?

I agree with czacza. Unless and until a doctor has diagosed the kiddo with something, it is not our place as teachers to decide who has what disability. Doing so is waaaay outside our scope of practice and not at all helpful to the kiddo.

This is not to say that you can't implement effective strategies normally recommended for teaching students with disabilities. Many of those strategies are actually just good teaching strategies, so they'd be helpful to all your kiddos, most likely.

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 15, 2009

The thread title is rather off-putting...

Understanding and helping kids with varying needs, disabilities, learning difficulties is a balancing act. Here's a link to a website that may be more helpful than listing anecdotal observations:
    http://www.teachervision.fen.com/add-and-adhd/resource/10503.html

8. Christine3

Christine3 Cohort

Feb 15, 2009

Sorry for confusing you, I think the thread name was taken the wrong way.

Thank you for the link :)

9. Christine3

Christine3 Cohort

Feb 15, 2009

Czacza, I have changed the title of the thread. I think I worded it the wrong way. I agree, I made a mistake. Thanks for clarifying this.

Again, all I want is some teacher to teacher feed back on tips for working with ADHD students.

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 15, 2009

I like the new thread title much better!:angel:

Christine3- I also read your thread about the tapper/fidgeter you have in your room in which you state that you "think she does not have the patience to wait, I am aware of the fact this may be ADHD" and others where you ask for help with students with anxiety, impulsiveness and for input on how ADHD symptoms present in a classroom. Sounds like you have your hands full. Your child study team and guidance office may be able to help you by observing in your room, brainstorming strategies, and recommending kids for further evaluation. I think it's great that you are looking into getting more info on how to help your students- just remember when talking with other professionals in your building and with parents to objectively talk about what you see, not what you think the 'diagnosis' is. Good luck.

11. Christine3

Christine3 Cohort

Feb 15, 2009

:cool: Thank you for replying to both threads. I am just very interested in helping a few students this year, they seem to be struggling socially and academically. It is sometimes so heartbreaking to watch. I e-mailed the guidance counselor about a week ago, saying I was concerned about ****'s behavior. She took a week to get back to me and explained that the same actions occurred last year. She stated that **** does have issues with talking out, being too energetic and issues with anxiety. It informed me on the behaviors, I see daily.

I mentioned that I was aware she may have ADHD, because I knew someone would come into the thread and suggest that.

My posts do seem redundant, I am just upset & want to reach this child in particular.

I've also, tried to call mom, no such luck getting a hold of her. So as you can see I am not getting too far. Since she has ADHD tendencies I've decided to look in some books and on the web for some tips on working with student that display impulsive/hyperactive behavior.

Thanks, I've rambled a bit...sorry :unsure:

12. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 15, 2009

At least there's a history of others spotting this child's behaviors. Do you have a pupil assistance committee? (we actually now call ours the I&RS committee - Intervention and Referral?) Sometimes these committees are helpful in terms of strategies- at the very least it helps to cover yourself in terms of documenting what you see and the interventions that you have tried.

13. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Feb 15, 2009

I also have a student who is very obviously ADHD. He displays every symptom and literally every teacher since kindergarten has suggested this, including a social worker. The parents refuse to get him tested. It is really sad now because he is failing all his classes because he can not stay still to pay attention and can not express anything in writing. Because he is not medically diagnosed there is not a whole lot we can do. Very sad situation.
    I like the idea of a thread that could help teachers deal with certain ADHD behaviors.