Strategies for teaching difficult texts to remedial students

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Letsgo, Sep 25, 2019.

1. Letsgo

Letsgo Rookie

Sep 25, 2019

This is my first year teaching senior English to remedial students. I really want to teach 1984 because of the themes. I'm wondering if anyone has any strategies for teaching the text. I'm considering using summaries of the text paired with excerpts for each chapter that we close read together in class instead of having them read the entire text on their own.

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 25, 2019

Audio book for support?

4. Letsgo

Letsgo Rookie

Sep 25, 2019

Ahh, not a bad idea! I'm a little worried about the time it will take to get through it all, but that's a great option to support.

5. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Sep 25, 2019

If they could get the audio books to use at home, that would build strength of practice, knowing that there is help, but that some effort will need to be made by the student, and perhaps something given up in exchange for this aid to be used effectively. I'm thinking of students who would refuse to use audio books because it would interrupt screen time or "must see" TV. At some point there has to be buy in and willingness to invest some of their time into the work, IMHO.

Of course, you can simply do all of the work for them and predigest the material for them. However, it they invest nothing, they get nothing out of the process. I've seen teachers wear themselves out basically doing all of the work for their students, while their students retain nothing, because of that very practice.