Strategies for students who confuse D and B!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by andi137, Aug 22, 2007.

1. andi137

andi137 Companion

Aug 22, 2007

I have a student who constantly gets the letter D and B confused. I am a first year teacher so I don't have any experience with this. I was wondering if anyone had any good strategies to use or even any good tips for this. Thanks!!

3. mitten

mitten Rookie

Aug 22, 2007

Once I had a student use their non-writing hand as their guide...so if they were right-handed their left hand would make the letter b, so they could always check to make sure their bs were going the right way.

However, if they can't remember which letter it is that the hand makes then it hasn't helped at all. :dunno:

Or maybe stick both letters on their desk--b over the left hand with a picture of a balloon (or something) and then a d over their right hand with a picture of a dog (or something). Maybe it would sink in after a while.

4. sundrop

sundrop Cohort

Aug 22, 2007

The first grade teacher at my school tells the students that b has its belly sticking out. The visual helps them remember.

5. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Aug 22, 2007

Sundrop...that's what I told my lil one...b has a belly & d has a booty!!! I know it's silly but it works!!

6. MsX

MsX Companion

Aug 22, 2007

Another one I've heard is to make a "b" with your left hand and a "d" with your right hand and put the two next to each other. You've formed a "bed" (It sorta looks like one!) Bed begins with B and ends with D, so it's one way that helps some kids.

7. mitten

mitten Rookie

Aug 22, 2007

Okay, potentially silly question...why does b have the belly? I don't see a difference...why can't d have the belly? They look like they both have one to me. I get the letter association just not the visual.
    bd -- they're putting their bellies together???

8. sundrop

sundrop Cohort

Aug 22, 2007

The idea I think is that you read from left to right, so you would imagine standing at the left of a line looking toward the right end. In that case b has a belly and d has a booty as DizneeTeachR said. Not sure if that makes sense.

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 22, 2007

Those who are having trouble with b and d are going to be confused with the booty/belly thing... I use the bed analogy. I say 'Make your BED'- the kid puts fists together with thumbs extended- it looks like a bed, the /b/ sound comes first as in the word bed, so that hand (the left hand) is making the b....

10. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Aug 22, 2007

I have fifth graders who make this mistake... anyone else?

11. andi137

andi137 Companion

Aug 22, 2007

Wow thanks for the advice. I am glad I am not the only one who has students that do this!!

12. patti2

patti2 Cohort

Aug 22, 2007

Okay...here goes....I haven't actually tried this, but what if you help them memorize the word ball and that the 'ball' (little round part of the b) lies next to the a. Maybe even have them draw an actual ball next to a big A or something for a visual. Point out that the bat is NOT next to the A only the ball. Whenever they are trying to spell another word, they can write the word ball using the above strategy for a guide.????!!!! Does that make any sense at all?

13. andi137

andi137 Companion

Aug 22, 2007

Yes it does!!! Thanks!! :)

14. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Aug 22, 2007

Makes sense...that's where my belly & booty comes in. b belly's up to the letters & d is mad so he stands with his back/booty to the letters.

15. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Aug 22, 2007

Here is one I learned.... Make a B with your left hand...pointer and thumb touching in a circle, the other three fingers straight. Do the same and make a D with the other hand.

Touch the thumbs together. It will look a little like a pair of glasses. It also looks like a B-e-D. The hint for remembering is to say bed, and make a bed with your fingers.

16. BethMI

BethMI Cohort

Aug 23, 2007

A lowercase b can be changed to a capital b by adding the loop on top-can't do that with the d.

I also use bed.

17. grade2rocks

grade2rocks Rookie

Aug 23, 2007

Have the student verbally say "a-b-c" and draw the "c"; then have them say "d" and add a line to the "c" to make the "d". It works to have them link the "d" formation with the "c" formation.

18. ms_teacher

ms_teacher Companion

Aug 23, 2007

When I was student teaching in the third grade I had a student who did this. The solution, a 3D visual of the word "bed". I just got a peice of paper, wrote the word "bed" in block letters and made it stand up on his desk (2"x2"). We had a one-on-one mini-lesson about it and the strategy worked wonders.

19. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 23, 2007

Not in the word candy...he's facing the can but not the y....

and in dad he's away from the a in the beginning but likes the a in the end...

(thinking like a struggling kid here, not trying to annoy!!)

What I like about the 'bed' idea is it incorporates the phonemes... booty and belly both start with /b/ so it could easily be confused...