Strategies for Struggling Readers

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by stephy4142, Sep 10, 2007.

1. stephy4142

stephy4142 Rookie

Sep 10, 2007

Hi,

I started to do my senior student teaching in a grade 1/2 classroom. My SP had me work with a girl on her independent reading. She is in 2nd grade but is not on a very high reading level. She is just starting to sound out simple words, etc. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas about what I could do to help her. I worked with her for a little bit and there is one book that she can read very easily, so I had her try to read another simple book (Level C). I tried to read the book with her, and then have her say the words that she has recognized but I feel that maybe I wasn't going at it the right way. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

3. Pattie

Pattie Companion

Sep 12, 2007

I've done this for my level B and C readers and it works like a charm. Get a stack of 3 x 5 cards and put 3 letter words with short vowels on most of them and some with silent e 4 letter words. Go over this list of about 25 words with her every day. Then get the most phonetic little books you can find out of your guided reading. She will start to feel successful when she can read the short CVC books with ease. The flashcards will really help her hone her phonics skills in doing the short vowels and consonants. Get a little whiteboard and have her write all the words that rhyme or have the same pattern as one of the easy words in the book (i.e. cake, lake, take, make, rake, etc.) Just a few ideas that might help. :cool: