Strategies for Reading / Sight Words

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by MusicMaker, Nov 7, 2006.

1. MusicMaker

MusicMaker Rookie

Nov 7, 2006

I'd like to send home something to parents on tips for helping their children to improve reading, sight words, etc. Does anyone have suggestions as to where to find an article about this? Thanks.

3. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

4. jaycay

jaycay New Member

Nov 11, 2006

sight words software

I am new to the message board and not very tech savy so I don't know how to link to another post but I was searching the K and Elementary forums and there is a Kindergarten post with a reply about sight words software. I was looking for computer activities and not sight words but I did check out the website mentioned in the post. sightwordswithsamson.com. Maybe it is worth taking a look at. Ciao, JC

5. westcoastteach

westcoastteach New Member

Dec 3, 2006

Sight Words Software

I am familiar with the website referenced by Janet as we use sightwordswithsamson.com in our classrooms. While the self instruction is not as strong as I would like it to be, I have found it to be a great way to build a bridge with parents on the subject of reading. The simple reporting structure is easy for parents to understand and facilitates goal setting and progress monitoring.

Hope this helps,
    Jerry

6. LABooks

LABooks Rookie

Dec 4, 2006

7. CBean

CBean Rookie

Dec 5, 2006

Well, it's not really an article, but here are some ideas for parents working with sight words at home. I got them from:

http://www.rainbowwords.com/TeachingActivities.html

All of our K and some 1st grade classes use Rainbow Words to motiviate the students (and parents!) to learn sight words. It has a nice letter explaining to parents why sight words are important and it gives them fun activities to do at home with their child. Here are the ones from the www.RainbowWords.com website:

Activities for Parent & Child to Practice at Home

(These activities are included in the Rainbow Words Package)
    Speed Reader -Write the sight words on index cards. Use a stopwatch to time your child as he or she reads a stack of word cards. Write down the time and challenge your child to read the words again and beat his or her time!

Word Find –Give your child a page from a newspaper or magazine. Challenge your child to find and then circle or highlight the sight words he or she is learning.

House Hunt - Post sight words around the house- on doors, the refrigerator, mirrors, etc. and have your child read them each time he or she passes by them.

Messy Spellers - To practice both reading and spelling the words, fill a cookie sheet or large tray with sand, shaving cream, or whipped cream. Help your child to trace out words with a finger and then read them aloud. Wipe them away and start again with new words!

8. ozteach

ozteach Comrade

Dec 5, 2006

Make little cards for each word and use blu tak to put it on matchbox cars. Have your child drive them around to make sentences. My son loved this!