Strangers Using Your Bathroom

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, May 31, 2011.

1. dibba

dibba Rookie

Jun 1, 2011

I let an air conditioning guy use my bathroom once, and that was a mistake. I don't know what he had for lunch, but let's just say he "tore up" the bathroom.

2. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 1, 2011

dibba, but husband would say the guy "disrespected the toilet". :eek:hmy:

3. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Jun 1, 2011

But....would you still let another worker use your bathroom?

4. dibba

dibba Rookie

Jun 2, 2011

Probably so, I mean if another human has got to go, I'd certainly hope they'd "respect the toilet".

5. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Jun 2, 2011

I let any workers who need to use the bathroom do so, but I don't like it. I had a worker "disrespect the toilet" once. We have a small house with one bathroom. The roofer asked to use the john and I said go ahead, and after he came out about 15 minutes later, our entire house had a rather bad smell. He of course washed his hands (a good thing), but left the bar of soap all full of dirt. The sink was dirty and the towel he used had streaks of dirt. I am sorry, but it grossed me out. Our one bathroom is in the hallway with our two bedrooms, so I always feel the need to hang around or go close the bedroom doors. I would never tell anyone no, but am happy when no one asks! Usually any workers that have spent the day, will go out to lunch and probably use the bathroom then.

6. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 2, 2011

Right, you just never know. But this kind of thing is rare I'm sure.

Eek!

All the workers I've had that stayed for hrs don't bring their lunch, but buy it at the fast food place that's 4 min away, so they of course use the bathroom then. BUt I kow it's hard for those who live out in the boonies.

7. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jun 2, 2011

I guess I'd rather they use my bathroom than pee outside. My kids play out there.

8. Harper

Harper Companion

Jun 2, 2011

Though I have germ issues, I would not say no. I take all the proper precautions (checking locked windows, etc. and clean the bathroom after they leave) but in my area, no place will allow you to use the facility unless you are a paying customer. I think it is unfair that I make someone, who may be on a strict budget, go elsewhere and buy something so he/she can use a toilet. Many of the workers I encounter bring their food in a cooler, drinks included, to save money (and eat healthier!).
    A stranger walks up to my house and asks to use my bathroom - uhm, no. So sorry, but move along.

9. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jun 2, 2011

I would not say no to someone that was working in my house- that's just common courtesy. I would never even think of it. There are places just 2 miles down the road that they can go, but that's so rude to make them get in the car and drive somewhere because they're not "good enough" to use my bathroom. That literally reminds me of slave days or something. If I was doing some sort of service in someone's home and they told me I couldn't even use their restroom, I'd take it as a slap in the face and would possibly not go back to that house!

Letting some stranger in is an entirely different issue. No, I would not let some stranger who knocked on the door go, but that's just common sense/safety, since I'm a young woman who lives alone. We have people coming around selling stuff all the time, and being close-ish to Utah we get tons of mormons that go around from door to door. In general, I check and see if it's someone I actually know if I hear a knock. If it's not, I don't even answer it as I am not interested in either buying things or becoming a mormon!

10. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Jun 2, 2011

lol- now every time I have to ask someone to use the bathroom or someone asks me at our house (I tutor here and other people's homes) I keep thinking of this thread! Thank goodness I've said yes 100% of the time and have never been told no to use the restroom at someone's home....ever! I drink a lot of water or other drinks so I always have to go!

11. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 2, 2011

LOL TennisPlayer!

12. Ambrosegirl84

Ambrosegirl84 Companion

Jun 6, 2011

Now that I think of it, I have BEEN the "stranger at the door!" I was on a 40-mile bike ride. I hadn't trained to speak of, and everyone kept saying to drink looooots of water to prevent dehydration. Well, it was about 50 and raining that day so I didn't sweat any of the water out. I had to stop at farmhouses a few times to pee! I'm so glad they let me, but I suppose I wasn't as suspicious because I was part of a large group with matching t-shirts. :)

13. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Jun 6, 2011

Thinking about this, I realized that if a female stranger came to the door asking to use the bathroom I would almost certainly allow them to. A male I would very likely refuse.

Part of this is a foolish sense of security (after all, even the most petite female could have a gun), and part of it is a sense that women have fewer options for relieving themselves outside the home (combined with something of a sense of chivalry).

But maybe I'm just being sexist?

14. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Jun 6, 2011

I would not let someone I didnt invite over in my house....now if someone is outside and hurt etc I would help them etc but some people do have bad intentions when knocking on a door.
    This thread has a high view count..oh my!