Strange ways to lose money subbing: I bet I am the leader.

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by oldstudent, Nov 10, 2010.

1. oldstudent

oldstudent Comrade

Nov 10, 2010

Those of you who have subbed long enough have probably lost out on some jobs do to poor timing. We have all likely been in the wrong place at the right time.
    However, there are some bizarre ways to lose jobs and money, and when it comes to lost opportunity of the strangest kind, I am probably in a unique class. However, I would like to know if I have some competition.
    In my 13 years of subbing, here are eight weird ways I have lost money. And these are only the ones I remember.

1. On three consecutive mornings, I picked up my telephone to accept work. However, the phone kept on ringing. I felt as though I had entered the twilight zone. I could answer all other calls, but for some reason, the calls from the subfinder would not pick up.
    I came to realize that the phone button on the phone body was stuck. So in effect, the reciever did not pick up, and I could not get the calls. Total losses: $300

2. I turned in my "return to work sheet" for the following school year to the district office receptionist a few years ago.
    Coincidently, I was stopping by the district office a few months later in August, only to discover that there was a mandatory sub meeting taking place at that very moment. I assumed it must have been for new subs only since I was not invited.
    I later learned it was a mandatory meeting for all subs that paid 100 dollars.
    I also learned I was not invited because my " return to work sheet" got lost, and the district thought I was not returning. Loss:$100

3. I was walking out the door to work, only to discover that a stray cat I had been feeding for years, was drenched in motor oil.
    I decided on my way to work that I could not leave the cat suffering in that condition. I pleaded with the office manager to get a sub for me, but I had to remain in the class for an hour of free work until the sub arrived and I could leave. Loss: $140

4. A Special Ed teacher requested me for her class, but I sat home while another sub got my job because the teacher did not know she had to dial a "1" in front of my area code, and could not therefore enter my name. Loss: $135

5. Just this year, another Spec Ed teacher requested me and had the district office put my name in the system. The district never put my name in, so I was sent home while the other sub in the system remained. I got a 40% day for showing up, This job paid 120%. Loss:$100.

6. I worked when all full day subs got out at 11:55 for a full day of pay. Yet regardless of the hours scheduled for a full day, if your day ends at 11:30, you get a half day's pay.
    Since the teacher I was working for was on campus, they had him bring the class to lunch so I could be off at 11:30 only 25 minutes short of a full day. Loss: $70

7. I am still working on this one.
    Last year I worked four days in a Special Ed class that I recently learned pays 120%. I only recieved 100% from the secretary. Loss: $108

8. I goofed on this one.
    I was offered a full day of elementary school PE, but I need a hat outdoors. Both of my hats has sports team logos, which were forbidden at this school.
    Since I did not want to chance working without as hat, I foolishly turned down the job. Loss: $100

All totaled, I lost $1052 due to these strange happenings, and these do not even include all the normal ways we lose work.

Does anyone have equally strange losses?

3. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Nov 11, 2010

Not really.
    The only I can come up with for myself is, Sometimes the automated district calls me for a job that I'd prefer not to do (let's say it's a HS). I think to myself as I'm lying there still half asleep ("Probably district B will call me with a more palatable job"), so I decline. District B doesn't call me that today... so I'm out of luck. -$100

The other one simply is the misnomer that we can "take days off whenever we feel like it." That's true, but being that we are not paid, we really can't unless we want to be broke (assuming it's our primary income). Whenever I take a day off (let's say I'm making it a three-day wkd, because of a trip I'm taking), I can't help to think that it's costing me double. For example, I recently took a one-week vacation... plane ticket was about $400... well, since I am out of commission that week, I also feel like I lost potentially $500. That means that if I think about it that way, the trip was actually $900! (ignoring all other costs fo the trip for simplicity)

4. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Nov 11, 2010

I haven't lost money that should have gone to me. I either get a certain job or I don't, but nothing unique or strange has happened that was meant for me, but I lost out on.

5. oldstudent

oldstudent Comrade

Nov 11, 2010

Taking time off without pay is one of the worse things about the on call system.
    I did not list this as strange, but back in 2002, my parents took a two week vacation to Ireland. I told them that I did not want to lose $1000, but they so desperately wanted me to join them that they paid for my vacation.

6. The Substitute

The Substitute Rookie

Nov 23, 2010

Got hired on by my district 5 years ago and gave them my correct professional category and certification papers. My category was entered incorrectly by the office clerk, which in turn resulted in a small discrepancy in pay any time I worked for 4 or more days in a row. This discrepancy was only caught early this year, and the district, despite aknowledging that it was their fault, is insisting on only paying for 1/2 of the outstanding money that they owe me.

Amount they are refusing to pay back: $2500.00. Interest they are likely to pay back on the $2500.00 that they have decided to pay me: 0%.

Let's hear it for giving my district a month's worth of free labour and an interest free loan for 4+ years on the rest.

7. oldstudent

oldstudent Comrade

Nov 26, 2010

That bites!

I suppose it it safe to assume that subs have no representation in Canada either.

8. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Nov 26, 2010

In Ontario, occasional teachers (subs) in public elementary schools are part of the provincial teachers' federation.

9. The Substitute

The Substitute Rookie

Nov 26, 2010

I work in British Columbia and all substitutes that I’m aware of in this province are fully certified teachers, which means they may get a little more respect than they might otherwise if they didn’t have the full certification. This also means that in theory I should have my union’s full backing to fight this one, and to be fair they are grieving it on my behalf. I’m not sure if we’ll actually get anywhere though.

10. oldstudent

oldstudent Comrade

Nov 29, 2010

I have been fully credentialed for five years, but our status, or lack thereof, is the same as those with only 30 day permits who have not had a single education class.

11. The Substitute

The Substitute Rookie

Nov 30, 2010

That's extremely frustrating:mad:

12. waffles

waffles Companion

Dec 1, 2010

I once picked up a job for a Monday at a middle school on the Friday before. All weekend I thought I had a job.

When I showed up the teacher was in the room. That had happened to me before so I didn't think it was a big deal. But then I put my stuff down and asked her about what I needed to do that day.

She thought I was an idiot for showing up and I must have messed up somehow until I called the system and checked with the computer to prove that I did have a job lined up for her class that day. She told me someone must have put it in the system wrong for her.

I ended up doing a half day at the school monitoring people taking standardized testing. I didn't even think to ask if I could put in for the full day.

13. Lindager

Lindager Companion

Dec 15, 2010

In my part of NJ subs get paid $hit (sorry long post)

I have lost lots of money by being too easy going. A substitute teacher got paid $70/day in my district a substitute aide got $55/day.

From April through mid june of 2009 I worked as a 1/2 day aide, my job was to teach one girl who could not cope with regular classes. I had to write and teach my own lesson plans, for math, Social studies,science and language arts. I worked from 8:30 AM-12:30PM 5 days a week then I usually spent 1-3 hrs at home making lesson plans and prepping. I got paid $27.50 per day. At the same time my 19 year old son worked at the local Shoprite supermarket making $9.50 an hour.

In April of 2010 I was in the process of completing my degree, taking my Praxis II exams and meeting all of the other requirements to be eligible to teach in NJ. One of the teachers in our district fell and broke her hip, I was asked to take over her classes because I was the closest thing to a certified teacher they could find. I taught 6 classes a day, 2 6th grade science classes, a 6th and an 8th grade pre-algebra class and a 6th and an 8th grade computer class. I wrote and prepared all my own lesson plans for all classes. I did all assesments and graded all the report cards. I can not even begin to figure the hours I put in. I did this until June 22nd when school let out. All for $70/day At that time a beginning teacher in our district made ~$40,000 a year.

In August of 2010 I learned the teacher was going to extend her sick leave until November 15 and might not be able to come back. By that time I had applied for my K-5 CE and my 5-8 Science CE, I was 3 credits short of applying for my 5-8 math CE, but I was enrolled for those credits. I applied for the job, had an excellent interview with the Principal/superintendent who had been happy with my work last year. I thought for sure I would get the job which I was told would be paid at the regular teacher pay. The P/S was nice enough to call me 1st thing in the morning the night after the board meeting to apologize and say the board went with a teacher with more experience.
    It was not until a month later I learned that the young lady they hired did not have certification in Science she just had Math experience and cert. I was also informed by an aide at the school that her science needed some work. When the other teacher was not able to return the young lady was given the permanant job.

I wanted to hate her, but she is a nice person who the kids love and she is great in math. I just feel very hurt by this whole situation. I had never worked at any other school, but after the job turn down I did apply and have started working elsewhere.

I feel that subs are supposed to give time and caring to the kids and school, but the schools have no care or loyalty for subs.

14. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 15, 2010

Lindager, so true. Districts don't give a flying fig about subs unfortunately. Sorry that happened to you.