Strange Tattoos

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by lemonhead, Jun 15, 2009.

1. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jun 15, 2009

Another thread conversation spurred me to start this thread about strange tattoos. Tell us about peculiar ones you may have or may have seen.

Here's mine

While in San Antonio a few years back I saw the strangest tattoo at Dick's Last Resort. It was on the back of a stocky man's calf. It was huge and (cover your ears) it was a poor crucified Winnie the Pooh, with blood dripping down the guys calf. I really didn't get it. I assume the guy hated Winnie the Pooh enough to have him forever on his calf.

Share yours....

Last edited: Jun 16, 2009
  3. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 15, 2009

I haven't seen any particularly ridiculous tatoos I don't suppose, but I'm forever amazed by who some people let tatoo them. I'm confident I could do better! Truly! It's just sad that people throw all caution to the wind and give the green light for permanent first-grade talent to be inked into their skin.

I had a classmate with a circular tatoo around her belly button...I'm curious to see that now after a few children.

4. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 15, 2009

5. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jun 15, 2009

Whhhhyyyyy???

6. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jun 15, 2009

The legs and the guy's armpit is a really bad one, too.

7. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Jun 15, 2009

About a year ago, I was at WalMart and noticed this young guy (standing in line ahead of me) with a large tattoo on his upper arm; I don't know what possessed me to ask him about it, but I did...it was a tattoo'd picture of his young nephew who had passed away.

It was rather nicely done; and it may not be peculiar, but I thought it rather different (??) that he would be wearing that for the rest of his life...an obvious loss and deep fondness and love of his nephew.

oh Pisces!! Those tattoos are WEIRD! I can't believe people would center a tattoo around their naval using it as a butth _ _e!! :eek:hmy:

8. Anne wmcosuvamu

Anne wmcosuvamu Companion

Jun 15, 2009

The little guy lawn mowing (5:49) is hilarious. I'd love to see that while waiting in line at the grocery or something. :lol:

9. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

Jun 15, 2009

I think it's funny when people get tattoos of cartoon characters. It's awkward/weird to see a grown woman with a tattoo of Bam-Bam on her ankle...

A girl in my work out classes has a tattoo that reads "Big Baby" in cursive just below her neck on her back. Really???

10. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jun 16, 2009

I've always wanted a tattoo, but my guys have never been into it. My first fiance was really controlling and didn't want me to get one, and then I found out after we broke that he went to Thailand to visit relatives and do a 6 month 'Monk Internship' (something like that), and got a HUGE tribal tattoo on his calf. Grrrr. Dh now doesn't care for them, either. But I'd love to get a pirate flag on my ankle. I searched high and low for a female's pirate flag, but both Anne Bonny and Mary Reid flew under men's flags. I'll keep researching, though.

My manicurist last week had Tinkerbell on her shoulder. I swear she looked more Asian than normal, but my manicurist was Asian and I was trying to figure out if it was intentional. But then Tinkerbell has huge eyes, so who knows. I enjoyed staring and wondering for about 40 minutes.

11. Crzy_ArtTeacher

Crzy_ArtTeacher Comrade

Jun 16, 2009

As a fan of tattoos... have five myself.... I find myself always looking and wondering about other peoples tattoos.

I personally don't like tattoo's on the upper shoulder or lower ankle. Those placements just don't do it for me. I also am a fan of black and white work and half sleeves. I've actually considered getting a half sleeve, don't know what it would be of yet, but most likely a passage of sorts.

12. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jun 16, 2009

What is half sleeve?

13. Crzy_ArtTeacher

Crzy_ArtTeacher Comrade

Jun 16, 2009

Well I consider a full sleeve to go all the way down to the wrist, a half sleeve stops usually before or around the elbow.

14. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jun 16, 2009

I see. I thought maybe it was the forearm. Do you design your own tattoos, seeing that you are a crazy art teacher?

15. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jun 16, 2009

One of the parents (not in my class) at my internship school showed up in a spaghetti strap shirt so that you could see her back tattoo - of a women's breast in full detail! One of the parent's in my class wore a nightgown kind of shirt that exposed her stomach and her tattoo of a naked girl holding a pair of cherries with the phrase "Pop my cherry"!

16. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 16, 2009

I'm sorry, Tasha, but that is just so trashy. Goodness!

17. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Jun 16, 2009

Does anyone remember the young lady (we call her Rockin Robin) on American Idol...can't remember her name. Anyhow; her tattoos were "full sleeve"(??); and you know...it did look sort of neat.
    She wore them well.

But, I would never get one myself...even a little one. They just don't do anything for me.

18. Crzy_ArtTeacher

Crzy_ArtTeacher Comrade

Jun 16, 2009

I do design and plan my tattoo's for the most part but I have a lot of script and numbers on my body, so it's less of a design than image tattoo's.

I teach in a very urban community and with the parents tattoo's are very common. Many of my parents have neck tattoo's that circle around to the adam's apple area, that must be painful.

19. Crzy_ArtTeacher

Crzy_ArtTeacher Comrade

Jun 16, 2009

See that's the great thing about tattoo's, it's for some people and not for others. I love that just because you don't personally want one you can appreciate them on others.

20. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 16, 2009

Not a fan of tattoos, personally.
    To comment on something above, I thought the girl on AI looked trashy and would have been so pretty with out them. To each his own I guess.

The strangest tattoo I can remember off the top of my head was a regular customer at the store I worked at. His entire head (besides his face) was tattooed and on his forhead it said something like "Yes, this hurt"

21. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jun 16, 2009

I don't have any and won't get any but I do appreciate some. My view is that:

A) Some people get them because they really like them and want something neat on themselves. They give careful thought to what they get and where they put it. They have a quality tattoo.

B) Some people get them because they want to be crazy or shocking like the crucified winnie the pooh guy or the guy with the plate of fried eggs on the top of his head from the you tube video. They still put thought into the tattoo but for a different reason. I guess total tattoo people might fall into this catagory but with a "weirdo" piece to it. (IMO)

C) Some people get them to get them. They don't care what they get... a monkey butt, a velveeta box, a frying pan...whatever, just give them some ink.

D) Some people who get them are under the influence and wish they could have a "do over".

22. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 16, 2009

Tasha~that is trashy. I would hope those women fall under lemon's D category of regretting them now.

I have a tat on my ankle of a sun. I sometimes forget I have one! I want to get one in the middle of my back of a pink ribbon since my mom died of breast cancer. I've also thought about getting one of my dd's handprint and her sister's (who passed) inside.

23. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jun 16, 2009

Definitely catagory A, STG.

Yeah Tasha, those are really trashy examples. I bet the one on the shoulder was a B and the cherry one the D. But I hope they were both D's.

24. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jun 16, 2009

I would love a tattoo but I know I'll regret it right away.

25. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Jun 16, 2009

I like tattoos and my husband and I (we're 71 and 56)would like to get small ones, but can't decide on a small, tasteful, meaningful tat. The funny thing is, we asked our 21 year old son into going with us and he thought we were nuts! He definitely doesn't want to get one. I love to look at other people's, but some are very blurry or poorly done and I want a clean looking one.

26. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jun 16, 2009

The thing is that they both could have been easily covered and in the case of the stomach tattoo she had to have actively sought out a shirt that showed it. Also, even without the tattoo the nightgown shirt that showed the stomach was inappropriate to a meet the teacher function at school.

27. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jun 16, 2009

Well then they are B's. LOL

28. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Jun 16, 2009

Smalltowngal; how would they do the handprint? Sounds special and so precious really! It would be neat to always look at your DDs & her sis's handprint.

29. smalltowngal

Jun 16, 2009

Sandra~the hospital made an imprint of her hands and feet and put a decorative frame around it.

30. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jun 17, 2009

:hugs:

31. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Jun 17, 2009

Gosh; that's a great idea. :thumb:
    wonder if this is a common practice now?

32. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Jun 17, 2009

I have 7 tats, and each one is very special to me. As a woman, I do not like tattoos on women's arms. I think that looks great on men, but not on a woman's bicep. My tattoos are on my back, upper outside thigh and ankle. Our best friend is a tattoo artist, and each piece I have he drew specifically for me. He will not tattoo anyone else with my designs without my permission. My husband and son also have many tattoos, and I don't find them trashy at all.
    As crzyarttecher mentioned-you either like them or hate them. They fascinate me.
    Our BF says that memorial tattoos and portrait tattoos are very popular now. The handprints mentioned in earlier posts would fall into this! Black and white are also very popular now too.
    I am proud of each one of my tattoos, and still searching for my next one. When I am 70+, I will still love them. No regrets here!

33. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Jun 17, 2009

Don't get one if you feel this way! Try out a couple of rub on tattoos first to see if that is something you would really want for the rest of your life! Tattoos are hard to remove and more painful than when you first got it!

34. Crzy_ArtTeacher

Crzy_ArtTeacher Comrade

Jun 17, 2009

See I too am not attracted for the typical bicep tattoo, I modified my arm tattoo to be one sentence on my lower right forearm...

I have a script that doesn't wrap around my arm because I really don't like band tattoo's for myself, and I have one on the inside of my wrist. They are unconventional spots, and at times very visible which posed a challenge for me during the interview process so I covered my tat's with a bracelet during them.

35. smalltowngal

Jun 17, 2009

My dh has 4: a tribal band on his arm, a sun on his chest, a skull on his other arm and a tribal across his upper back. I love arm bands on men, but don't prefer them on women.

36. etcetera83

etcetera83 Cohort

Jun 17, 2009

I have a tattoo of a Hawaiian turtle with a hibiscus on its back. It is outlined by a thick black line and the turtle is turquoise (sp?). There is a circle outlined in black on the turtle's back and in it is the orange hibiscus.

I researched tattoos, parlors, colors, designs, etc. for over a year before I found and tweaked the one for me. It's on my foot and I absolutely love it!

37. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jun 17, 2009

I remember that girl on AI and was distracted by her tattoos every time she sang. I don't know what it was. Maybe they clashed with her outfits or something LOL