Strange question- do you floss daily?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by giraffe326, Dec 30, 2008.

1. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Dec 30, 2008

I am currently (until tomorrow) back home in Michigan. Well, while here, I found out that I am still covered on my dad's insurance until 12/31/08. So, I made a dentist appointment. I had to see his dentist (dad's) because my dentist was closed for 2 weeks. (Note: I don't have dental through school and last got my teeth cleaned in March- of this year because I thought I'd get dropped from the insurance in March, which is when I turned 25).

Anyway, I have never had dental issues and have had maybe 3 fillings in my adult teeth (I think 2, but there may be a 3rd somewhere). I don't floss often. I will admit that now :eek:

So, the dentist, after looking at the X-rays, announced that I have NINE cavities. ALL between the teeth from not flossing. NINE in nine months?! So, I go yesterday to get my teeth fixed, however, there is not enough insurance to cover them all. (I broke a tooth on a nut in a muffin back in February and had to get a crown). They fixed 5 teeth and I had to pay $300 that I don't have for that. He then gave me a list of all the teeth that still need to be done. However, there are SEVEN listed. 7+5=12 NOT 9!!!!!! So, I am now up to TWELVE cavities in 9 months all due to not flossing. It is very strange to me. 1 or 2- heck maybe even 3, I can see. But TWELVE?!?!?! The dentist also says 3 need to be done now or they will get worse within 2 months and therefore the treatment will be more costly (like a root canal).

I just can't believe this is possible. I am looking into private insurance since I can NOT afford 7 fillings! My mom's cousin is my usual dentist (but he is here in Michigan- not in NC where I live). Hopefully, I will be insured (privately) by Spring Break when I next come home and he can fix me up. I hope I make it that long though!

Anyway, do you floss daily???? (I have to say I now do). And, have you ever heard of such a thing?! (12 cavities in 9 months)

3. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Dec 30, 2008

I've had a few cavities in the last few years. I don't floss either. That's quite a lot. There are other reasons. I contribute medication and SODA as the main causes for mine. One of my medications makes my mouth dry which causes food to stick to my teeth too long and soda has waayyy too much acid in it. Most drinks do. Also my medication causes me to grind my teeth some so that's wearing them down. Flossing is certainly important but I think if I was truly serious about my teeth, cutting down on SODAS would be the way to go.

12 in that period of time seems excessive but then I'm not a dentist.

4. scooter503

scooter503 Comrade

Dec 30, 2008

I floss religiously. However, I had braces as a kid, and my parents always reminded me to take care of my teeth because they weren't cheap. :D
    When I first got married and we were dirt poor, I went 3 years without going to the dentist, and when I finally went back I had no cavities. My dentist usually comments on what nice teeth I have.
    I can tell you my husband went a long time without going to the dentist and he ended up with 5 cavities.
    We're not dirt poor anymore, but we still don't have dental insurance. :( My district doesn't offer it.

5. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Dec 30, 2008

I think some tooth problems might be hereditary. I know a friend of mine that has new cavaties everytime she goes to the dentist.
    I never floss. I'm not against it I just always forget.

6. Go 4th

Go 4th Habitué

Dec 30, 2008

I am so glad I am not the only one that doesn't floss as often as I should. I do very well right after all dentist appointments, but then slack off somewhere along the way. I'm not sure what my issue is. Lazy I guess. :(
    It sounds like an awful lot of cavities within a short amount of time. Have you changed something in your diet since your last visit? I would ask about the difference in numbers. Maybe he just subtracted wrong? :)

7. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Dec 30, 2008

Well, something just doesn't seem right. I would get a second opinion. I have really bad teeth. They're soft and get cavaties easily, and both of my parents have bad teeth. My dentist jokes around that keeping my family's teeth in our mouth sent his kids to college (I've had the same dentist since I've had teeth, and he was my parents dentist long before I was born). I've NEVER had that many cavaties show up in that short amount of time, even when I'm not so good at taking care of my teeth.

8. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Dec 30, 2008

I floss twice a day - in the morning and before I go to bed.

Did your dentist show you your x-rays?
    I would want to see the x-rays and have the dentist point out exactly where the cavities are located.

9. Teacher_Lyn

Teacher_Lyn Companion

Dec 30, 2008

no, I floss more like once a week, which is really bad. i floss moreoften if i get that nasty taste in the back of my mouth because i still have my wisdom teeth and food gets caught in them sometimes.

i am blessed with pretty good teeth. they're not as white as they could be and were a little crooked on the bottom until i got braces, but again, decent enough. i'm 25 and have never had a cavity though i do have some wear on my front teeth because apparently i grind at night due to stress.

10. Teacher_Lyn

Teacher_Lyn Companion

Dec 30, 2008

NOT trying to hijack the thread, but I am curious now, what's it like to have a cavity? Does it hurt? How do you know when you have one? What do they do to fix it? Is it expensive?

11. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Dec 31, 2008

I'm suspicious. That's an awful lot of cavities for such a short amount of time. I would get a second opinion.

12. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Dec 31, 2008

I wonder - because I had a few cavities one time, and my dentist said that some were just spots, and that if I used fluoride, they could actually strengthen and not need treatment. But maybe that dentist counted them as cavities.

I am also very susceptible to cavities, but I have to admit, I still don't floss. I rarely go to the dentist, even though I have insurance. I am terrified of the dentist. I am even shaking a little while writing this. I hate it. You would think someone in my position would floss more. haha.

I would try getting fluoride like ACT and seeing if that helps at all, in addition to flossing. And you might want to look at what you are drinking.

The only time I floss is when I am trying to lose weight - if I put all that effort into flossing and brushing my teeth and using fluoride, I won't eat in the evening. :)

13. MuggleBug

MuggleBug Companion

Dec 31, 2008

I floss daily, as well as using the anti-cavity Listerine (the purple one). I remember when I first switched to a "grown-up" dentist about 7 years ago, I saw one that told me I had 5 cavities (I had just been to the pediatric dentist 6 months prior). I was so upset because I do work hard on my teeth. When I went back to get them filled, I saw the other dentist (who wasn't in when I went previously) and he told me I just had a couple spots that they could fill in, but it wasn't nearly as bad as what the other dentist said.

I think it isn't likely you had that many cavities, as long as you brushed consistently. Like other people said, maybe you had some soft spots that didn't necessarily need to be filled. I remember my dentist recommended a prescription fluoride toothpaste to take care of some spots then and now he tells me to use Colgate Total and I haven't had any issues since.

14. myangel52

myangel52 Comrade

Dec 31, 2008

I hate flossing. My teeth are really close together, so flossing is really painful -- because when I finally get the floss in between the teeth, it invariably cuts the gum because I have to use so much force to get it through the teeth. I haven't had any cavities in the past few years, though.

The amount that the dentist is saying that you have to fix does seem rather suspicious. If you can, see a different dentist, or talk to the current one and find out exactly what is happening -- like the other posters said, maybe it isn't a big thing and can be fixed with some flouride or something.

15. yostie

yostie Rookie

Dec 31, 2008

My fiance has found that dentists (as well as everyone else) are out for the mighty dollar. He goes to the dentist religiously, flosses daily, and brushes three times a day. When he went for his last cleaning they said he had EIGHT cavitities. He knew this was wrong... went for a second opinion and he had zero. How about that. Scammers. Definitely get a second opinion!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Dec 31, 2008

Get a second opinion. This happened to me many years ago. When we moved, I thought I'd try a NEW dentist. He told me I had 7 cavities, beginning of gum disease and that I MUST have my wisdom teeth out. I was so upset, I went back to my regular dentist (long drive,) but worth it. He found 2 cavities and none of the OTHER stuff was true.

17. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

Dec 31, 2008

3 times a day is a little much. Be careful with that. He could be wearing away the enamel on his teeth... thus making it more prone to cavities.

18. MollyT

MollyT Companion

Dec 31, 2008

I agree - get a second opinion.

I rarely floss (I know I should ) but i also have close together teeth so its hard. But I have never had a cavity. (I am 41)

I know my family has good teeth, but still, i think 9 cavities in 9 months has to be impossible.

Let us know what happens.

And Happy New Year

19. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

Dec 31, 2008

I floss every night. I had a few cavities in between my teeth and it was not fun getting them fixed.

I went to the dentist once and they used this new laser thing on my teeth. It was supposed to show the density of my teeth. They said I had 5-6 cavities or would-be cavities! I never had cavities until I was like 12/13.

I recently went to the dentist to get 3 cavities fixed and I had to pay $240 out of pocket. That was 20% mind you...

In regards to scammers: I can't wait until my friend graduates from dental school in 2 years. I'll be going to her because I know she'll be honest with me.

20. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Dec 31, 2008

I have "soft" teeth, and I think this is due to genetics. My denist also doesn't agree that I should have had braces. I drive an hour to see my denist that I have had since I was in jr high (now 28). I've had a few cavities during that time, but never 9!

Last edited: Dec 31, 2008
  21. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Dec 31, 2008

what a great thread; I was going to start one on brushing...how often do you brush...:D

Anyhow; I don't floss as often myself...maybe once a day or every other.

I do brush my teeth with toothpaste and a sprinkling of baking soda. I had a student with the most beautiful white teeth; they were pretty poor and when I asked him what toothpaste he used; he told me it was baking soda. This was over 20 years ago.
    I know baking soda is an abbrasive, but heck...I use it for other things too.

ok; back to the thread. :)

22. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 31, 2008

I, too admit that I don't floss as often as I should. However, my teeth are in good shape. I've only had 1 cavity in my life. Other than deep cleanings, I've never needed anything more.

23. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Dec 31, 2008

I used to floss on a daily basis but now I guess I'm too lazy. I only floss when I have something stuck inbetween my teeth. I think 12 cavities is excessive. I know that when I got my first cavity filled when I was 17 my dentist told me that it was really a little cavity and the only reason he was going to fill it was b/c my mouth was going to be frozen anyways in order to get my wisdom teeth removed.

24. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Dec 31, 2008

I read in my dentist's office that, "The only teeth you need to floss are the ones you want to keep."

Yes, I floss at night, regularly. I was inspired years & years ago by a lady who lived across the street from me who had false teeth and they clacked when she talked. Lord, who wants to be a clacking old lady?

25. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Dec 31, 2008

As my denture wearing grandmother always said....Be true to your teeth or they'll be false to you.

26. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Dec 31, 2008

Ha! That's funny and true mm. My dad always said his teeth were like "stars," they come out at night.

27. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Dec 31, 2008

I don't floss daily because I have permanent retainers, and they're a bear to floss. I do, however, brush well twice per day. I also drink a small glass of tap water after I brush.

My dentist says that he has seen an increase in tooth decay since more people have started drinking bottled water instead of the tap water which includes flouride.

Sometimes a "cavity" is just a soft spot. I always go ahead and have mine filled at that stage just because I hate needles and would rather have them filled witout any shots. It's cheap, too, about $15 to have them done at that stage.

I did once have six cavities at once, and it was after I'd been sick for several months with gall bladder problems. I'd vomited a lot that year, which had caused the cavities.

28. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Dec 31, 2008

I agree you might want to get a second opinion - especially because you would be paying out of pocket and haven't been to this dentist before. There are bad dentists out there. I've never heard of having that many cavities between your teeth (no medical degree to back that up or anything). I just went after not going to 2 years (scheduling appointments 3 months in advance never works for me) and I didn't have any cavities and I do not floss as much as I should.

I also know people have different teeth issues-my sister has had 4 root canals and gone through many crowns - she's in her mid-30's. As a teenager she needed to get a bridge put in because she never got her adult front teeth - she doesn't smile out at the clubs because the blacklight picks them up - very eerie. But if you have never had problems before and the dentist a few months ago didn't find anything - I would take the x-rays and go get a second opinion.

29. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Dec 31, 2008

I have 6 cavities. I got all of them filled like 5 years ago. Those are the only cavities I have so far...and I do not floss.

30. moonbeamsinajar

moonbeamsinajar Habitué

Dec 31, 2008

My teeth are really close together too. You can get special floss that is easier to use- it is called Glide. I have a special routine that I have to do everyday, because the dentist said I had the beginning of gum disease. I have to brush, floss, rinse with Prohealth, use a gum stimulator around my gums, rinse again with the Prohealth, and then rinse with fluoride. I have to do this 2 times a day. I hate it. It takes forever, and sometimes I just skip it. However, since I started this routine, I can tell my gums are much better. When I went for my appointment last time, there was only one spot left near one tooth that was still problematic.
    There is a mouth rinse you can use that is susposed to restore minerals to soft spots. It is called Restoring Rinse. I am not sure if it works or not, but the Vanilla Mint flavor is really nice!

31. DaTeach

DaTeach Comrade

Jan 1, 2009

Whether or not a cavity hurts or not depends on how big it is. I don't think it is painful unless it is decayed to the nerve.

I have terrible teeth. I try to floss daily. If I just don't feel like it, I rinse with Listerine instead...but I think flossing is the best. Some people do both....