Strange comment

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Aliceacc, Jun 19, 2010.

1. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 19, 2010

I was wandering around Target today, trying to come up with something for Peter to open for Father's Day.

As I passed the grills and outdoor stuff, I passed a salesgirl who asked if she could help me find something-- they just remodeled the store, and I think a lot of people are confused.

I responded that I didn't need help; I was trying to find something for Father's Day and didn't know what I was looking for.

She resonded with: "My father's dead."

So I said "Mine, too, but this is for my husband."

Who on EARTH says stuff like that to customers??????

3. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Jun 19, 2010

ok, weird.

4. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jun 19, 2010

She needs someone to talk to!

5. cmw

cmw Groupie

Jun 19, 2010

You must have that kind of face that says "Please give me too much information." :lol: I hope she's not working tomorrow.

6. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jun 19, 2010

That's spine chilling.

My father-in-law has been gone for 11 years; Father's Day is still hard for my husband, me too, but it's worse for him.

I've found strangers will tell you more than you ever wanted to know. Maybe her father hasn't been gone very long.

One time we had a waitress tell us all about her X son-in-law and rambled on and on, and on and on, seriously about about 15 minutes. It was a horrilbe story filled with incest, beatings, and drugs. I was so upset when we left and jumped all over my husband because he's too friendly everywhere we go and people tell him all kind of mess.

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 19, 2010

That's what I was thinking.

8. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 19, 2010

I agree, a little strange.

9. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jun 20, 2010

We went to Walgreens about 5 years ago to pick up some flip flops to be shower shoes for my husband when he went to basic training for the military. The lady who worked there started telling us how her son got some of those flip flops to wear in the shower......in jail! She went on for a while about it!!

10. blindteacher

blindteacher Cohort

Jun 20, 2010

How strange.

I can't say I've ever had an employee tell me too much, but I'm very familiar with other customers telling me too much. For some reason, strangers love to tell me about their problems, particularly their medical histories and drug/abuse stories.

:confused:

11. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jun 20, 2010

Some of us have that "tell me all" mark on our forehead.

12. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Jun 20, 2010

I bet it was recent. She was probably really struggling with all of the father's day ads and signs and shoppers. Maye she just had to unconsciously let it out.

I find myself in awkward situations all the time where people ask probing questions (I realize you didn't do that in this situation) and I either have to mention my son that died or pretend he didn't exist. I realize strangers don't need to know about my son but I also have a hard time acting like he was never born.

13. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 20, 2010

Sad. :(

14. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 20, 2010

It was a strange comment, but I bet, like others have said, that it was recent loss. I was with a friend getting something from the store. The woman behind the counter started in on how her ex bf kept calling up at the store wanting her to come see him jail, and how once he got out he wanted to move in with her. We were just in there for some drinks! :eek:

15. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jun 20, 2010

Alice,
    That is so sad. I wonder if she doesn't have any one she can talk to about it.

16. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jun 24, 2010

It does sound like her internal monologue slipped out. I have never had a sales clerk or waitstaff say those sorts of things to me, but every now and then I'll slip and say stuff I should have kept to myself.

17. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jun 24, 2010

For her, that is sad.

The other aspect here though is does anyone really know how to be appropriate in retail anymore? The other day I was also in Target at the Starbucks in the front of the store, and I had just ordered a coffee, when the one obnoxious girl working in there turns to the other who was making my coffee and loudly says, "I'll be right back. I gotta poop." I mean, really? That REALLY makes me want to buy some food and beverage. And I can't count how many times I have seen employees texting on their phones or carrying on their own conversations, often inappropriate or unprofessional, and ignoring the customer

Honestly, I don't care what the economy is like. If I owned a store and saw people doing things like that, I would fire them on the spot, even if it left me short on staff.

The girl you are talking about is a little different, but it just hit a bit of a nerve. People have no sense of professionalism anymore.

18. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Jun 24, 2010

I totally agree silverspoon. I really don't like the way people behave now, however, I think it started WAY before the current economic crisis. This isn't a polical opinion, I am pretending that there isn't a economy issue.........just that I can come up with crazy people stories from before the muck happended.

I don't even like to venture into stores or places to eat anymore.

19. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jun 24, 2010

I had a cashier at walmart, accidentally drop my receipt on the counter instead of in my hand, and I was startled to hear the word s--t pop out of his mouth... yes, I use the word on occasion, but it bothers me when someone will use it in customer service...

20. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jun 25, 2010

I'm joining in just a little late, but my first thought was maybe this poor soul is on the autism spectrum somewhere?

My dad died when I was 15, and father's day is really hard for me too. I am pretty good at masking my emotions (probably to a fault), so I pretty much just ignore the whole holiday. I help my girls get my hubby something, and I call my stepdad, but it is just awkward with him. I feel for her...