StoryTown Harcourt reading series

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by LaurenNJ, Nov 6, 2009.

1. LaurenNJ

LaurenNJ Rookie

Nov 6, 2009

I am a 1st year 5th grade teacher. Does anyone else use StoryTown Harcourt reading program? If so, how do you organize your small group (guided reading) leveled reader books? So far I have each colored book in a matching colored folder with the lesson marked on it along with the small group instruction guide. I am finding that they are taking up too much room (i am using hanging folders in a crate). Anyone have any better ideas to store them?

3. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Nov 7, 2009

Right now most of mine are on the shelf waiting to be organaized. My co-worker is much more organized than me. She has each book in a manilla envelope with a colored sticker (red, green, blue, yellow). Each envelope has the books, the lesson plans, and the card. Right now she has them in baskets, but they are going in her filing cabinet when she clears out a drawer.

4. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Nov 7, 2009

You guys both sound more organized than me! ;) I just started 3 weeks ago, and I'm getting used to a new STATE and a new curriculum! I don't even have the Leveled Readers yet so I have just been doing whole group which I don't want to keep doing! I have an 80 minute Reading Block but that still doesn't seem like much time when I look at the lesson plan guides of all there is to cover. My kids are having the most trouble right now with cause and effect.

5. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Nov 8, 2009

It took us quite a while to get all of our stuff. All we had was the student text books, teacher's manuals and levelled readers for a while. Making copies from the evaluation copies was a pain. Trying to white out the blue dots or retype. It's a great series, though. You do know about the site with resources from teachers all over, don't you? For 4th it has powerpoints for vocabulary, tic tac toe sheets for spelling homework, and tons of other resources. There are some great links off the page, too.

Think Central hasn't worked for us since the beginning of school, though. :(
    http://www.pcboe.net/les/elderweb/harcourtresources.htm

6. LaurenNJ

LaurenNJ Rookie

Nov 8, 2009

We have about the same - 80 minute reading block and i can't seem to get everything in either so I end up skipping science/ss most of the time to finish reading.

7. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Nov 8, 2009

Lol, I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who does that! Seems like there's never enough time in the day is there?:rolleyes:

8. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Nov 8, 2009

Christy, actually yeah I did check out the web site and I have already used some of those Vocab Powerpoints, which are awesome. I am actually meeting with our Reading Advisor this week to help me with some pacing and planning.

9. LaurenNJ

LaurenNJ Rookie

Nov 8, 2009

I tried downloading some of the powerpoints but they didn't work. Am I doing something wrong?

10. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Nov 8, 2009

Right click on the PowerPoint you want and then click on "Save Target As". Just name the slide show whatever you want and hit ok. That's how I've been saving mine.