Storytown and Daily 5?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by pwhatley, Jun 28, 2010.

1. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jun 28, 2010

Has anyone successfully combined Harcourt Storytown (mandatory) and Daily 5 (what I want to do)? If so, how?

3. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jun 29, 2010

I did it with Treasures. I'm not familiar with Storytown, but most programs are similar. What I did was break the required lessons down into minilessons and taught them as outlined in the D5.

It certainly can be done. It just takes a little tweaking.

4. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jun 29, 2010

We use Treasures, too. I bet if you can do it w/Treasures that you could do it with Storytown. I'm not familiar with Storytown though.

5. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jun 29, 2010

I do it with Storytown, actually! However, I teach kindergarten, and I know some parts of Storytown are different for each grade...I know a first grade teacher in my school does her shared reading time separately from the Daily 5, but I don't know how she works in the other parts of Storytown.

I do a mini-lesson before each round of the Daily 5. I always do a shared reading/comprehension, and then I rotate between high-frequency words, phonics, writing, and robust vocabulary (1 do 3 mini-lessons each day). I do the phonemic awareness lessons at a different time. I also have a separate writer's workshop time each day, but I sometimes add in a writing mini-lesson during the Daily 5. I'm thankful that my district doesn't require us to follow Storytown exactly as-is, so I don't have to fit everything in every day...I kind of pick and choose.