Story of St Nicholas

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by msaly, Dec 4, 2006.

1. msaly

msaly Comrade

Dec 4, 2006

Is anyone here familiar with the story of st. nicholas? We are doing this tomorrow and wendesday with my classes. I know the story well but I am trying to think of a fun way to tell it to my class so they can understand, at least a little. I know they will like the surprises in their shoes! :)
    any ideas?

thanks in advance!

3. Butterfly4

Butterfly4 Comrade

Dec 5, 2006

4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Dec 5, 2006

From the essay, The Many Faces of Santa Claus, by Eugene Fazekas, which appeared in the same publication, comes the following:

"Santa Claus, one of the most universal figures of our time was like many other famous persons born in obscurity. ... he has roots in other countries... Santa had his beginning in real life as St. Nicholas, born in Patara, Lycia (part of modern Turkey) around A.D. 270. Nicholas began acts of charity and kindness as a child; his parents were wealthy and he distributed this wealth to the poor and needy secret, usually at night.

Nicholas was ordained bishop, performed many miracles in his lifetime, and became the patron saint of and bearer of gifts to children in Holland, Germany, France, and Austria. He was described as having a white beard, wearing the red robes of a bishop and the traditional bishop's hat, and carrying a shepherd's crook. In Holland and Germany he was portrayed traveling on a white horse, while in other areas on foot or by goat or ona donkey. The eve of his birthday, December 5, became a traditional time for the distribution of gifts in honor of his birthday. After the Protestant Reformation in Northern Germany, St. Nicholas was replaced by the Krist Kindl, the Christ Child, represented as a young girl dressed in white and wearing a crown of candles. By this time, gifts were exchanged on Christmas Day and St. Nicholas had become a servant to the Krist Kindl. Eventually, Krist Kindl was to be Americanized as Kriss Kringle.

The Dutch brought with them their beloved St. Nicholas, called Sinterklass, Sancte Claus and San Nicolass. He rode above the rooftops on a wagon drawn by a white horse, dropping gifts down the chimneys...

By the time Clement Clarke Molore wrote 'A Visit from St. Nicholas' in 1822, Santa Claus was a familiar figure.

In 1931, Haddon Sundbloom painted a life-size Santa which the Coca=Cola company used in their advertising."

5. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Dec 6, 2006

Butterfly, What a great site!!!