Storing Puzzles

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by Miss J. Pre-K, Nov 15, 2008.

1. Miss J. Pre-K

Miss J. Pre-K Comrade

Nov 15, 2008

I have between 20-30 puzzles in total in my classroom. I only have between 5-10 out in the classroom, the others are stacked in my supply closet. Whenever I want to change out puzzles, I have to unload the whole stack to sort through which I want (there are different levels of hardness). Anybody have a good way to store puzzles individually so I can pull some out without losing pieces everywhere? The only thing I can think of is the large Ziploc bags, and that would be expensive for the amount of puzzles I have.

3. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Nov 15, 2008

When I worked for Migrant Head Start, we went to the kitchen and borrowed the roll of plastic wrap. If you wrap the puzzle side to side and top to bottom, all the pieces will be secure.

4. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Nov 15, 2008

5. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Nov 15, 2008

I have puzzle rack in the class for about 10-then a tote for the remaining ton. Getting to the bottom of the tote is hard-but it wouldn't be as hard as the closet. Just a rubbermaid tote w/ziplocks inside.

6. maebowler

maebowler Comrade

Nov 16, 2008

At the school I LTS'ed at they wrote the theme for each puzzle on the side of the puzzle in black permanent marker. They then had all the themes grouped together. When you went in the supply closet to get the puzzle you just pulled out the one you wanted. You have to be careful that you only pull that one out as they are stacked one on top of the other. It was pretty easy to return to puzzles because you could use the puzzle you were returning as a level and push it in the spot. Hope this (or one of the others) helps.

7. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Nov 18, 2008

1)jumbo rubber bands around the boxes--put one top to bottom and one side to side--then store them on their side-- easier to pull them out that way. 2) put the pieces for each puzzle in gallon size ziploc bags inside the boxes so if the box comes open they stay together---a box of gallon size is fairly inexpensive 3) cut the picture out of the cover and store it inside a gallon size ziploc bag withthe pieces. Antoher hint is to put some type of desgnation on the back of each puzzle piece to denote what puzzle it goes with so if the get mixed up or spilled it is easy to sort tem back out

8. Miss Sam

Miss Sam Rookie

Nov 19, 2008

In a three year old class room i used to work in we use dollarstore disposable tupperware containers. Alot of times you can get 3 for one dollar. We would cut the picture off the box and use packaging tape to secure it to the container. They stacked and stored very easily. The puzzles on the shelves also looked much neater that way.