storing ideas for future lessons

Discussion in 'General Education' started by amyt682, Nov 6, 2009.

1. amyt682

amyt682 Comrade

Nov 6, 2009

i was just wondering...how do you store ideas for future lessons/activities...I i need an organized way to keep ideas...right now I have a box of books from college (4 or more years ago) that had various things I wanted to keep and use some day so I didn't resell them...I also have a stack of hanging files from a retired teacher...and I have several binders with reproducibles on my shelves at school..no kind of organization to it at all...do you keep binders or files and how do you catergorize it... by grade level, subject matter, theme...just wondering what you do...that is my Christmas break project to organize all that material so I can find it when I want it and not have it scattered everywhere

3. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Nov 6, 2009

This is tough because there are just soooo many great ideas available. Some are in magazines, some are online, some are in your teacher guides. You can't possibly store them all. But, who doesn't want to be able to pick out a great lesson at the right time? That seems to be the trick - finding what you need WHEN you need it.

Here are some ideas for your favorite hardcopies:

1. Keep a monthly file drawer. Major holidays should have their own files. You can keep handouts, worksheets, small decorative items, cutouts, craft projects, fun fillers, even holiday info (origin, facts).

I also kept my students' birthday cards in the appropriate monthly folder. Before each new month, search through the folder for ideas and filler projects.

2. Separate a teacher's workbook (if you have one) from the spine. Behind each page for a lesson, add in your own favorites. This works well for math as well as grammar.

3. Keep a separate file drawer (or cabinet) by subject area. Have a pendaflex for each major topic area. Use files within each for handouts, quizzes, tests, games, etc.

4. For magazines, you can either keep them intact or separate them to save only the best ideas. If you keep them intact, then you will have to search for lessons as needed. If you buy the end-of-year Mailbox issues, though, you can look up topics in the index.

For websites, save sites in your favorites. Make separate folders by subject area.

Save documents in an organized way in your doc files. Try to save the 'printable' copy when possible to weed out ads.

Hope this helps a bit.

4. fuzed_fizzion

fuzed_fizzion Comrade

Nov 7, 2009

There are lots of great organizational options out there. I personally use binders. I have them for different subject areas I have taught organized by the standards I have to teach. When I find an idea I like I put it into the binder if it is a paper copy. Every year I also keep a journal (it goes everywhere with me). I write ideas in there that come to me or that I hear from someone else, everything. I also keep folders on my computer for different ideas and a specific document for links and my thoughts when I found it.

5. amyt682

amyt682 Comrade

Nov 8, 2009

a journal...good idea...never thought of that...how do you utilize that later...is it categorized also or do you just write page to page like any other regular journal

6. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Nov 8, 2009

A teacher put a large filing cabinet out in the hall last year with a "Free to a good home" sign on it. I snagged it and spray painted it to match my classroom. It is an old one - solild wood with wood handles - and it is so huge. I designated a drawer for every class I teach and spent a good portion of my summer contract hours organizing everything and actually filing it. If I find something that would be useful for class and don't have time to really go through it, I just put it in the front so it is there when I have time.
    I also have all my teacher's guides taken apart and in three ring binders. That way I can add my own worksheets into the unit.
    I use lots of teamwork activities in class (usually one a week) and problem solving games to get the kids thinking. Most of these only take 5-7 minutes and the kids really look forward to them. Since these span across the curriculum and apply to every class, I use a 3 by 5 index card box for them. I put them all on cards and alphabetized them.

7. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Nov 8, 2009

I have a file cabinet drawer (or two) for each unit. I have file folders that contain worksheets or smaller materials. I also file my resource books and primary source books in the file cabinets. On my flash drive I have matching file folders for the units. In each unit folder there is a file names "resources", which is where I list everything I have and where to find it.

When I first decided to do that, it was a HUGE undertaking. Now that I'm in the habit of organizing that way, it's very easy.

8. fuzed_fizzion

fuzed_fizzion Comrade

Nov 9, 2009

I use my journal for all kinds of things during the year. I keep notes from meetings I am in as well as handouts taped in there that I need to keep. For me, I have found that when I am in a meeting and there is a question about something before I am rarely at my desk to reference that information. I keep it in my journal. At the end of the year I do take tabs and tab important things I think I might reference again. However, I have a pretty good visual recall memory, so I know it was x year about this time and can find my info in my journal from the year before. I can't tell you how many times that journal has been worth its weight in gold to be able to refer back to it in a meeting with a parent, or teacher, or administrator.