Storing Die-Cut Letters

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Ms.Jasztal, Jul 26, 2007.

1. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 26, 2007

How do you store die-cut letters? I have letters from one of those pre-cut kits. Do you put them in 26 compartments... 26 bags... or all together? I think putting them by letter will make it easier for future reference, but I want to find a really good way that'll reduce the stress when I want to make a quick bulletin board.

3. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 26, 2007

Our Sunday school has a number of different sets (different font styles) for use in the classrooms. What they do is store each set, in alphabetical order, in a zip top freezer bag of the proper size for the font. That way they can see which one they are grabbing for!

4. cb4pebbles

cb4pebbles Companion

Jul 26, 2007

My assistant stores the letters in those small 3-drawer storage containers. If I remember correctly we have 2-3 of those containers and each drawer is labeled with the letters that they contain.

5. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 26, 2007

Or maybe I can put 26 plastic bags in a plastic container. :) Good suggestions so far!

6. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 27, 2007

I have a couple of large 3 ring binders filled with page protectors. Each page protector is a letter (in all different colors or styles). I put all the vowels in one book, consonants in another. Makes it easy to see them all and to pull out what I need. I do hate putting them away, though.

7. ~Nicole

~Nicole Comrade

Jul 27, 2007

I glued library pockets on the inside door of a storage cabinet and stored them by individual letter. Well, my students stored them by individual letter-I made that part of somebody's job :D

8. forkids

forkids Cohort

Jul 27, 2007

I store them in a 4 X 6 index card box. I got the A-Z dividers and store each letter under the correct divider. Easy to find the letters you need and doesn't take up much space.

9. TeacherRW

TeacherRW Cohort

Jul 27, 2007

I use the smaller manilla clasp envelops to store mine. I trace the letter on the outside and file it. I also have a variety of "tracers" (letters of different fonts to trace out letters for use) that I store the same way... I trace the outside of the letter so I can see easily what the font looks like. I just label the envelop- TRACERS in the top right-hand corner. I also store any smaller bulletin board pieces in these envelopes. I feel that they are sturdy enough to protect the letters inside and can easily be filed in several containers... typically I use a plastic shoebox container w/o the lid.

10. dumbdiety

dumbdiety Comrade

Jul 27, 2007

I have one of those big brown A-Z file folders. Punctuation is stored in a zip-loc.

11. 2BCharged

2BCharged Rookie

Jul 27, 2007

I use the index card file boxes with the letter spacers and behind each letter I put the BB letter. It small, convenient and does not take up space. When not in use put with BB items or in the file cabinet.

12. 2BCharged

2BCharged Rookie

Jul 27, 2007

:wow: GREAT MINDS THINK ALIKE!:2up:

13. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Jul 27, 2007

I create new letters for each bulletin board. I do save them all, though, in zipper bags. I then have a box that all my accents and letters go in. Before I cut the letters out I laminate them so they last longer. It also helps when you tape or hot glue them on things. They don't rip if they're laminated.
    If I purchase letters (usually from Dollar Tree), then I'll laminate them and store them together in the same bag.

14. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 27, 2007

I do the same thing. It's very easy to find the right letter.

15. dumbdiety

dumbdiety Comrade

Jul 27, 2007

For the boards I intend to put up each year, I also have zip-locs with the needed letters/punctuation inside. This way I don't need to hunt it down each year!
    Also, for those looking, check the Dollar Trees. They have nice 4-inch letters there (as my mother found out...I don't think I EVER need to buy letters again)!

16. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 28, 2007

Upsadaisy and Forkids, you both have great ideas. After I laminate them :(, (ick!) I'll see what floats my boat.

I can't put them all together, though. I couldn't imagine... yikes.

17. munchkin

munchkin Cohort

Jul 28, 2007

I did a LTS where the teacher had all of her Bulletin board ideas predone. Letters included. Each BB idea's "sayings" were stored in a separate ziploc bag, then hot glued to the back of her supply closet door and labeled. She even had a "map/diagram" that outlined what went on what shelf, and side !!! Talk about micro managing!! :eek:
    But, it did make it exceptionally easy to pull out what you wanted and to slap it up quickly:2up: .

18. munchkin

munchkin Cohort

Jul 28, 2007

what about laminating, say 20 sheets of each color BEFORE you diecut whatever you were going to do.... Would that help??:whistle:

19. Lilu0819

Lilu0819 Companion

Jul 28, 2007

I do this too! If it is a bulletin board that I plan on using year after year, I store all those phrases separately with all of the other materials for the board.

20. SouthernTeach

SouthernTeach Companion

Jul 28, 2007

This is how I do it also!:up: