Stories with Instruments

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by RedVac, Mar 30, 2010.

1. RedVac

RedVac Rookie

Mar 30, 2010

Does anyone have any great ideas for books that I could use the children playing instruments to help tell the story?

3. MissJennifer

MissJennifer Companion

Mar 30, 2010

There is a book called "Music in the Night" that I've used. Each character has a different instrument. I think I have the list at school - I can look for it tomorrow. :) I'm not sure the book is still in print however.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 31, 2010

Could they supplement the sounds in "And to Think that I saw it on Mulberry Street" by Dr. Seuss??? It's been years since I've read it, so you would have to check.

5. tinytotsteacher

tinytotsteacher Rookie

Mar 31, 2010

I remember as a child in elementry school(1970"s) we always listened to Peter and the Wolf. I loved it. I don't know that you would be able to have the children do the music, but it would be a wonderful introduction to the concept. Ask your local school music teacher. I bet there are many ideas s/he could give you.

6. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Mar 31, 2010

How about Where The Wild Things Are? That story almost begs for some background noise, especially the Wild Rumpus.

When I was a kid, I apparently loved the story The Goat Parade. I haven't seen it in years, and don't know if it's in print at all... I think it was one we got through parent's magazine book club or something. Anyway, if you can get ahold of that story, it would also be a good one.

I bet The Napping House could also work :)

Last edited: Mar 31, 2010
  7. Maxadoodle

Maxadoodle Comrade

Mar 31, 2010

Could you find a song with a great story (lyrics) that you read instead of sing? You could make it a flannel/magnet board story if you need visuals too.