Stories? Advice?

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by SwOcean Gal, Mar 15, 2008.

1. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Mar 15, 2008

I have just started subbing (PreK-8th) and I wanted to know if anyone has some stories to share about your experience subbing? What is the most valuable piece of advice you could offer?

3. UCLACareerChngr

UCLACareerChngr Comrade

Mar 16, 2008

I subbed for a year and now work in high school. My biggest advice is two things:

1) Classroom management, show them you are boss. As a former honors student...even I tried to pull stuff over on the sub...Get control of the class at the beginning and keep as much control as possible...one thing that will really help you is to make sure that you get there EARLY every day. I always tried to get there at least 20 minutes early. That way I could read the lesson plan, make sure everything I needed was available, I knew where the room was, etc...the days when I got called late or had to pick up an extra class were always extra stressful because I was scrambling and that's when you are on edge and make mistakes.

as a teacher now, my biggest advice is....FOLLOW THE LESSON PLAN. I can't believe how many subs I've had who don't pass stuff out, don't read my instructions, don't collect the students' work , etc...I'm AMAZED at it. When I was a sub I tried to follow the plans religiously and left detailed notes on what did or didn't go well.

Now, my subs tend to regale students with stories about their teaching days (we have a lot of retired teachers) and sometimes don't hand out materials. Or, I've seen subs for other teachers say "this is too much for the students, I'll cut some of this stuff out"...don't do that, I know what my students can handle and I give them too much on purpose when a sub is there so the fast ones finish. I don't penalize those who don't finish the work...

Good luck. Subbing is hard but can definitely be interesting and rewarding.

4. MissHunny

MissHunny Comrade

Mar 16, 2008

I subbed for a semester in an urban community. I had quite a few bad days subbing (such as a 10 yr old student saying "I'm only in trouble bc you are white!", or a class that had a student suspended the day bf for bringing a gun to school and all of the students were still upset over it, yet no one informed me until mid day!), but I always tried to remember that each day is a new day, a new oppurtunity, a new bunch of kids that really could be great! Don't let the negative experiences (there will definitely be some) get you down!!

5. Noggin

Noggin Rookie

Mar 16, 2008

I agree!! Do your best to follow the plans that are left - hopefully there are some! :lol: If you can't follow them for whatever reason, just leave some notes as to why you couldn't and what you did in lieu. Teachers really appreciate feedback on both the classwork progress and student behavior. Helps them pick back up when they return.

Best advice I can offer- they ARE still kids. Even if they act grown, you're still in charge. Good luck and enjoy! :D

6. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Mar 18, 2008

Thanks everyone! So far I have gotten calls for subbing "specials" in jr high- although it is a tiny bit disappointing it is also rewarding. I had hopped to be in a real classroom, but so far I have not. Yet, I am enjoying what I am doing and I will be looking forward to being in a "real" classroom. Thank you for your help and tips- I cant wait to use them!