Storage

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by FarFromHome, Jul 22, 2007.

1. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jul 22, 2007

I've spent a ton of money buying stuff for my classroom already, but I don't have any storage items yet. What do you use to store things in your room? And I mean everything: books, school supplies, papers, anything you can think of! I looked at some of the pictures of the classrooms, and I don't have any of that stuff. I'm panicking, and I have hardly any money left!

3. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

Jul 22, 2007

See if any stores near you might be going out of business who might be able to donate fixtures to you. You might be able to find some storage items cheaply at Walmart or Target. Our dollar stores out here aren't so well stocked, but they might have some bins that would hold school supplies and books for you.

4. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Jul 22, 2007

Do you have Ikea near you? I got some colorful storage containers there. They are 2 dollars and come 3 to a pack. I will check the website to see if they are offered online. I will post a link if I see them.

5. Calalilys

Calalilys Comrade

Jul 22, 2007

I store school supplies (paper/pencils/glue/etc.) in the multi-colored drawers that you can see to the left of the cubbies.
    [​IMG]

My classroom library is organized using bins I bought at Target for $1.99. The multi-colred wire shelving I got at Costco for about $8 and I believe they'll make 8 wire squares.
    [​IMG]

I always pick up these plastic baskets from Office Max/Staples to file papers in.
    [​IMG]

6. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Jul 22, 2007

Tell everyone that you are looking for things! My father in law gave me a cabinet that was once used in his office for displaying brochures. I also have a cardboard organizer that was made for those carousels for slide projector. I thought that since it was cardboard, it wouldn't last long but I'm still using it 7 years later. You might be surprised at how creative you can be with some unusual donation!

7. 2tired2teach

2tired2teach Companion

Jul 22, 2007

Neat room, thanks for sharing!

8. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jul 22, 2007

The wire thing is really genius because you can rearrange and reconfigure them to look like anything no matter what room you are in. They are 2 rows high now but you could have some 3 rows and some 2 rows and so forth. Not a bad investment.

9. Calalilys

Calalilys Comrade

Jul 22, 2007

You're welcome, 2tired2teach.

You bring up a good point, cutNglue. I originally had my classroom library set up where it was 6 columns and 5 rows. I decided I didn't want to take up that much wall space and ended up putting them under the whiteboard, since that is typically wasted space anyhow.

10. funeoz

funeoz Comrade

Jul 23, 2007

Calalilys

How long ago did you get the wire cubes from Costco?

11. Miss Bradley

Miss Bradley Companion

Jul 23, 2007

I was about to ask the EXACT same question funeoz! I really like those and I would love to pick some up for my own classroom!

12. Calalilys

Calalilys Comrade

Jul 23, 2007

I've had them for about 4 years, but my mom told me that she sees them at Costco every time she is there. The last time she was there was about a month ago, too.

13. srh

srh Devotee

Jul 23, 2007

Calalilys: I was given a big bag with those wire pieces in it, but had no idea how to put them together!! Thanks for the picture. I think I'll use them for my Kinder library!! Awesome!

14. Calalilys

Calalilys Comrade

Jul 23, 2007

The nice thing about those wire pieces is that they're versatile and can be used for just about anything.

15. BASAM

BASAM Comrade

Jul 23, 2007

I have seen them at Target too but only in blue.

16. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jul 24, 2007

I have black ones in my house that I bought for my son's closet. Now I've broken them up and use them in 2-3 different places. I bought mine at Target but I think Walmart carries them as well.

17. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Jul 24, 2007

Stop at the thrift shops and see what they have really cheap. Shelves, cupboards, books, baskets, file cabinets and etc. Go back in two weeks. They are always getting differ things.

Dollar Stores have things for cheap dollars.