Storage question

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by Dzenna, Aug 15, 2007.

1. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Aug 15, 2007

My Pre-K children sit at three large tables when we do group work. We use community supplies: pencils, markers, crayons, colored pencils, and scissors. I am looking for three containers to hold these items. What type of containers do you use with community supplies? I bought 3 containers with 8 cups at Lakeshore. They are still in the boxes. Any better ideas?

3. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Aug 15, 2007

I had the same set up last year, but I did not do community supplies. I bought 3-section caddies from Dollar Tree, and 3 medium sized baskets with handles. In the caddies each child had a glue bottle, a glue stick, and a pair of scissors. In the baskets each child had one ziploc bag with markers and one with crayons. I kept the supply bins on the windowsill and 3 of my jobs were "supply managers." Whenever we needed something I asked my supply managers to get the bins and they would bring everything to the tables and pass out the supplies. It worked really well and it also gave the kids practice in reading each others' names to hand out supplies. I want to do the same exact thing this year, except I want to have 6 smaller tables instead of 3 big ones and I can't find the 3 section caddies anymore!!!!

4. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Aug 15, 2007

I forgot think about the glue bottles and glue sticks! Those cups won't work. I like the idea of the ziplock bags with crayons and markers.

5. Butterfly4

Butterfly4 Comrade

Aug 16, 2007

we don't do individual supplies. On one of our shelves I have a plastic basket with glue & glue sticks in it, a basket with scissors, 4 small square baskets with crayons. Whenever the children need something they can go get it themselves. When I do a project, I'll grab the baskets and put in on the table.

I've been thinking about getting that set from Lakeshore with the 8 different colored cups. I was going to use it for markers, crayons and colored pencils. When I got there, the cups didn't seem like they would be big enough for the colored pencils. Does anyone use these...do they work well??

I bought 4 of their diek caddy cups instead. I took the lids off of them so they are just open cups. I was going to try using them for markers and colored pencils...I may return them though. Cn't decide what I want to do.

6. Mrs_Barrett

Mrs_Barrett Cohort

Aug 16, 2007

Last year I used Lakeshore caddies. They have 3 holes in the container and a nice handle. It held glue, scissors, pencils, crayons, and etc.

I'm at a new school, but I got the same thing at Target in the dollar section. I have one at each table. It is going to hold the scissors and glue. I'm going to have each student have their own baggie for crayons....

7. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Aug 16, 2007

I use "caddies" like you can find in the cleaning section at Target or Walmart. They have a handle, and one long side is undivided, while the other is divided in half. In the long side, I put pencils, and a cup that holds scissors. On one of the short sides I have glue sticks and in the other I have crayons. I have one per table, each labeled, with pictures. I have a blue one, a yellow one, a red one and an orange one, so the tables are "named" by color. My kids don't have assigned seats, but the supply caddies get matched to the color table. They basically stay there all the time. One of my classroom jobs is "supply clerk" and they check the supply bins for broken crayons, dried-out gluesticks and dull pencils each day, and they take care of any problems they find.
    Kim

8. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Aug 16, 2007

Can you get a "house cleaning supply" caddy--- the kind that you put spray bottles and such in when you clean......... or a simular type that one might use when living in a dorm for taking to the bathroom??

9. EDUK8_ME

EDUK8_ME Cohort

Aug 16, 2007

I recently bought colored, sectioned caddies at Target in the dollar section. I have yet to try them in the classroom.

10. Mommyof2xys

Mommyof2xys Rookie

Aug 18, 2007

I recently purchased these as well. I hope that they work. I will use them for glue, scissors and other supplies. I previously had everything in plastic containers, but I wanted to trysomething different this year. The students will have seat pockets on the back of their chairs,so that is where they will keep their crayons and markers.

11. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Aug 18, 2007

Thanks for all your ideas!!! Yesterday I bought the large white cleaning caddie at Target for scissors, glue, pencils, glue sticks, colored pencils. (I found cups at the dollar store for the inside). I bought the small caddie which will hold baggies of crayons and markers.

12. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Aug 18, 2007

Just a helpful hint that I figured out this past year. If you are using baggies, make sure that they are the EZ zip bags. I spent so much time last year zipping the little ziplocks for them before I realized I could just buy the EZ zips!!

13. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Aug 18, 2007

Thanks for the tip!