Storage of literacy props

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by tinytotsteacher, May 18, 2010.

1. tinytotsteacher

tinytotsteacher Rookie

May 18, 2010

I work in a childcare/preschool center. My director wants us to start making a bunch of puppets, flannelboard props etc. These will be avalible to everyone in the center. Any suggestions on storing these items? There are 12 staff in our center. Two of us put things back where they belong with all the pieces togather in their container, 10 just shove things in the store room wherever there is room. They never make sure they are in the container or that the peices are all there. To make it worse, we have 4 different areas that we use for storage. We had them organized as to what was in each room, but when people don't take responsiblity for putting things back, we have a huge mess.

The funny thing is that the one who is the worst at putting things away is the one who complains about not being able to find anything! This major project is her idea. She doesn't like to have to ask other teachers if she can borrow their personal items.

All ideas would be great! Thanks

3. mrgrinch09

mrgrinch09 Comrade

May 18, 2010

I have the same problem where I work. Some of the staff don't take care of the materials, or put things away where they belong.

Nothing will change until the director holds people accountable for putting materials away properly.

You won't be able to come up with a system of storing your materials as long as you have people that refuse to follow the system.

4. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

May 18, 2010

I don't have the problem of having to share with a bunch of people but have used a binder with the clear sleeves or a file box with hanging folders. And, yes, it comes down to leadership.

5. tinytotsteacher

tinytotsteacher Rookie

May 18, 2010

The boss isn't much better at putting things away either. She leaves it up to the rest of us! Leadership is lacking. This project should be interesting, we start tomarrow night at our employee meeting. Before leaving tonight I asked if I needed to bring anything, her response was markers and crayons! I'm a perfectionist, so I wonder if we are going to just color some pictures and put velcro on them. Not my idea of a engaging story prop!

6. Maxadoodle

Maxadoodle Comrade

May 18, 2010

Funny how we expect the children to clean up after playing or using art materials, but don't expect the same of ourselves.

I would go NUTS if I had to share materials I spent time working on. Can you make some good stuff with your money only for your use?

7. Blue

Blue Aficionado

May 19, 2010

I can't think of a job where the storeroom stayed organized.

Here is what I did at my PS. Each person on the staff was responsible for an area in the school. So, one person kept the art cupboard tidy, another the resource room. If you have enough staff, you can double up. If you need more jobs, add the playground, or some other shared area.

8. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

May 19, 2010

I love your idea Blue!

Unfortunately it only takes one lazy person to make everything disorganized.

9. tinytotsteacher

tinytotsteacher Rookie

May 19, 2010

I like that idea to, I'll bring that up tonight. I do make alot of my own props and keep them at home. I lend them out, and have had no problems getting them back. People take better care of others belongings, but I know the things we make tonight won't get the same treatment.

10. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

May 19, 2010

At one school I was at, we had a monthly rotation of the classrooms that were in charge of organizing/cleaning the supply closet. So everyone, from Infants to school-age, had about one month out of the year they were in charge of keeping it neat. Once you've taken your time to fix it, you're more likely to keep it up in the future. I have found that labelling the shelves makes a HUGE difference... it means that no one has to question where things BELONG... and it is way faster to put something back if there's a space for it already reserved, since logic usually says to put something in the first available blank space.

11. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

May 23, 2010

labeled shelves are a good idea, but take it a step further and COLORCODE the containers to the labels on the shelves so that for instance--all story props boxes have purple labels and the shelf they go on all the labels have purple letters. Also put a laminated inventory list of items on the cover of each box and assign each box a number. Make a SIGN OUT sheet that stays hangs on the door of the closet. If someone takes something they need to sign it out with name and date. That way if someone else goes to get it and it's not there,they know who has it,and if someone goes to get it out of the closet and all the pieces aren't there--- EVERYONE will know who didn't put it back correctly. Holding people responsible and accountable for their actions by signing things in and out may let peer pressure take care of the situation.

12. KLSSwimmer

KLSSwimmer Habitué

May 23, 2010

At a preschool that I used to work at had the teachers each take a month to organize the storage closet. For example:

August - Preschool directors
    September - 2s teachers
    October - 3s teachers
    November - 4s teachers
    December - K prep teachers
    January - Preschool directors
    February - 2s teachers
    March - 3 teachers
    April - 4s teachers
    May- K prep teachers

Hope this helps!

13. tinytotsteacher

tinytotsteacher Rookie

May 23, 2010

thanks for all the ideas. My boss thought the staff having to be responsible for an area was good. we'll see what she decides. I've labeled tubs, and placed pictures on them, and others just can't get the right stuff in the tubs or even back into them period! I think I'm the only one who is frustrated by this, and it's probably because I'm the one who started getting things togather and organized.