Storage for mini-offices

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by 4inteacher, Jul 29, 2009.

1. 4inteacher

4inteacher Rookie

Jul 29, 2009

I finally just finished all of my mini-offices (yay!), but I'm now wondering how to store them in the classroom. How do you store your mini-offices? How do the kids get them out when they're needed?

3. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jul 29, 2009

I'm not familiar with mini offices, would you describe them for me?

4. Mr D

Mr D Comrade

Jul 29, 2009

Mini-offices are folders the students can put on their desks for privacy when working independently, taking tests, etc. Some have reference information on them, but I use plain ones.

I stored mine in an extra student desk that I used as a table in the classroom. The book rack under the desk was just the right size.

5. 4inteacher

4inteacher Rookie

Jul 30, 2009

That's a great idea, Mr D. Unfortunately, we don't have extra desks or book racks underneath :(

6. BethMI

BethMI Cohort

Jul 30, 2009

I keep them in 2 plastic book boxes on a shelf. That way they won't ruin them in their desks. My desks are arranged in tables and my table captain goes to get them (and returns them) for the entire table for tests, mad minutes, etc. But I also allow the kids to get them whenever they feel necessary (they want the resource, feel like a neighbor has wandering eyes, etc.)

7. natelukesmom

natelukesmom Companion

Jul 30, 2009

When you make your mini-office's do you glue two file folders together? Or how do you do it? Thanks!!!!

8. GoehringTeaches

GoehringTeaches Comrade

Jul 30, 2009

I store mine in a stackable 1/2 open crate. (Not sure if that makes sense) But there are three crates stacked and one has reading buddies, one has clipboards, and one has the offices. During writing they get their paper, get anything else they need, and then go find their spot.

9. Mr D

Mr D Comrade

Jul 30, 2009

That's one way to do it. The ones I had at my first school were made from posterboard. I got the idea from another teacher on my team. We took a sheet of posterboard and cut it in half. Then we cut one half in half and taped one on each end of the half that wasn't split. After that we laminated them. These were kind of big, because each one used a whole sheet of posterboard to make, but I actually liked that because they gave the students plenty of workspace without falling over or getting in the way.

Hope that makes sense--it's kind of hard to explain! :lol:

10. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 30, 2009

Mine were in standing files. I used the laminated double file folders. My larger 'privacy shields' which I got from Really Good Stuff were harder to store. I finally just laid them down on a shelf.

11. 4inteacher

4inteacher Rookie

Jul 31, 2009

[​IMG]

I've glued two folders together and then covered the whole thing in contact paper. They're still kind of long when folded up though.

12. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 31, 2009

You did a great job on them!

13. 4inteacher

4inteacher Rookie

Jul 31, 2009

14. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 31, 2009

I snatched up several of the blue boxes that Walmart has school supplies in (yes, they were already empty!). Then I reinforced them with packing tape and went over them with contact paper. Now I have storage for my mini-offices (which I made from two file folders for each) as well as several other classroom needs!

15. 4inteacher

4inteacher Rookie

Aug 1, 2009

That's smart. I never thought of making my own storage.

16. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 1, 2009

:love:

17. ms. yi

ms. yi Comrade

Aug 1, 2009

Wow, I like how your offices serve two purposes. Nice layout.

I have students store their offices in their folders. I used to use the two file folder method but I couldn't stand it when I couldn't see what the kids were doing. I had to stand behind them or look over them to see.

So a few years ago, I decided to cut the file folders in half. I have the kids place one into the other and then store them in their class folders.

What I love about them is that they're easy to stand up, easy to store and easy to look over. Some of the kids were concerned that the other kids could see their work. I showed them that it would be pretty difficult to just glance over and see. If someone was trying to cheat, he/she would be very obvious because they would have to be at a higher vantage point to see anything. Trust me -- I tested them out! =)

18. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 1, 2009

How long have you been teaching, ms. yi? I am learning tons from every post you make!

19. ms. yi

ms. yi Comrade

Aug 1, 2009

Thanks! This will be my 6th year teaching first.