Stopping "backtalk"

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by fairfax, Aug 16, 2006.

1. fairfax

fairfax Rookie

Aug 16, 2006

I have the sassiest girl in my 3rd grade class. She takes every opportunity to talk back - rude, sarcastic, you name it.... she's so disruptive and has been to the principal twice, counselor once, and I've spoken with her mother 3 times........... we've had 6 school days.

Any ideas to stop this? Thanks, I'm already at my wits end with her.

3. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Aug 16, 2006

Stop sending her out of the class. You are giving her what she wants. Positively reinforcing the backtalk. When does she talk back? Is it right before working? all day? Try to find what makes her tick. In the meantime, you have to try to really praise her when she is on task. No matter how little that may be.

Limit calling her mother too much. It makes you look like you can't handle the situation. I learned this the hard way. Try keeping a log, and if you have to call, do it at the end of the week and be specific. Is there anything going on at home that could be causing this?

4. MandaNicole01

MandaNicole01 Habitué

Aug 16, 2006

My advice: NEVER call her down on this behavior in front of the class. I had a fifth grader two years ago who would smack her lips, turn her head, and backtalk under her breath. I found it more effective to simply say, "Ann, please step out in the hall." Or hang back after class, whatever... If you call her down in front of the class, she has a captivated audience and will continue smart remarks. Out in the hall, it's just you and her. I never gave the child time to make a remark out in the hall. I would say, "Ann, that comment was rude or uncalled for. Explain what she did and an alternative as to how she could have acted. Honestly, I've found some students don't understand how this is rude. It is how they act at home and often are confused as to why it isn't acceptable at school. I also talked about the saying, "bite your tongue"...and what it meant and how she could apply this saying in our classroom. I would then proceed with the next step on our behavior plan, name on board and loss of recess for the day. I wish I could tell you I had to do this only once and the remarks vanished...but truth is this is something we had to work on for several weeks...it's like a bad habit...eventually, we did nip it in the bud! Remember, pick your battles and don't fight them in front of the class. Good luck! :)

5. fairfax

fairfax Rookie

Aug 16, 2006

it's ALL home/life situation causing this... previously homeless for a period of time, running from an abusive husband, poverty......

it's very sad, BUT I am much more sad for the other students who have to deal with this disruption, and it is all day.

They are starting to laugh when she clowns around....... it makes me sick how she's bringing some others down with her.....

We're looking into testing (Mom is on board) for ADHD... and she was all set to go to the "special" school for misbehavior at the end of last year, but the special school was full.

6. MandaNicole01

MandaNicole01 Habitué

Aug 16, 2006

Special school? Like an alternative school? Hmmm...interesting. I would have a talk with the class with her out of the room...send her on an errand or something... Explain to the class that it is important not to encourage behavior from "Ann" that means when she goofs off at the wrong times, we as a class need to not laugh. You may also want to talk to her as well as the entire class about appropriate time and place for certain behavior. I always told my students, "I love to have fun, crack jokes, laugh, whatever, but there is a time and a place. I would never do this in a meeting with the principal or in church, whatever....model this concept and discuss with the class other situations...what would be appropriate behavior in a meeting, church, school, etc. Even mention the different behaviors throughout the school day. Recess, lunch, music, classroom, etc. Would it be appropriate to sing in the classroom while I'm teaching? What about recess? Etc.

7. fairfax

fairfax Rookie

Aug 16, 2006

If I said "I wouldn't talk back at church", she'd say "I would, I do it all the time, I"m allowed to do that there... blah blah"

Today I said "I'm noticing talking, does that mean you're ready for the map test?" (we were practicing on maps for the FIRST time)

She sasses off "Yes, I"m ready, we wanna take it, this is boring, let's take the test"

It is impossible to get anywhere.

I"m dreading tomorrow and really considering just ignoring her all day. That's awful, but I'm SICK of giving her 75% of my attention all day.

And if I said "I need you to come see me in the hallway" she takes about 2 whole minutes while the whole class watches her slowly come to the hall.

She's disobedient, so asking her to do something is pointless.

8. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Aug 16, 2006

she is pushing your buttons. I think you have to avoid those power struggles by keeping the conversation to a minimum. Just state this is what we are doing. If she won't do it, you have to address it afterwards not during teaching time. It's not fair for the rest of the class.

She is a handful... I know it's hard but it's onlly the beginning of the year.

9. MandaNicole01

MandaNicole01 Habitué

Aug 16, 2006

Wow! If she is like this in third grade I wonder what the kid will be doing in middle school?! If you have taken her to the administrator and he has no suggestions, I'm not sure what to do. Sometimes at our school students get sent to another room for an in school detention day. They are sent to the strictess *is that a word? teachers in the school and must sit all day and do work. Usually, if it is a K-2 they are sent to a 4-5 room and vice versa. I don't know what else to tell you. Whatever the case, you are smart to take care of it now...the longer it goes on, the harder it is to break.

Just wondering, what is this special school and how to children get sent there? I've never heard of an alternative school for elementary students!!!

10. educ8or2000

educ8or2000 Rookie

Aug 17, 2006

All I can do is send you a big hug over the net! I understand how you are feeling and it's just the beginning of the year. Don't let her drag you down. The advice given by the others was great. Stay strong!! YOU are the teacher and YOU do a great job!

11. fairfax

fairfax Rookie

Aug 17, 2006

Thanks so much for the ideas and support!

I have had problem kids, but this one is so disrespectful... I feel crummy all day and I feel so MEAN due to the constant redirection/reprimanding.

I see where I fuel her at times... so that is good to note for the future....

And yep, it is a special school for behavior problems. We are a large district (45 elementary schools now) and SADLY the special school goes from K-8. Kinder! Can you imagine!

12. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Aug 17, 2006

I have talked to my students about mimicking inappropriate behavior of their peers and laughing at other students' inappropriate behavior. Students who mimick or laugh do receive a consequence and I crack down on this the first day of school.

13. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Aug 17, 2006

I had a very rude student last year. I gave him tally marks for each inappropriate consequence (at first I told him when he was getting a tally mark and then I just gave it to him). Each tally mark was a minute of recess lost.

The last month of school I had him write down each rude comment he made. I gave him a new piece of paper each day for his rude comments. He hated writing and this worked great! He got down to 2 comments a day.

14. fairfax

fairfax Rookie

Aug 17, 2006

I moved her desk to the back and today was 10,000 times better!

She HATED sitting in the back, and I was very careful not to give attention to her negative behaviors, but call on her any time her hand was up (she's also the smartest kid in my room....)

So now I know what makes her tick.

I felt much more in control today.. yay!

And I will also keep a record of the things she says... for parent conferences..

15. mrsnoble116

mrsnoble116 Companion

Aug 17, 2006

I had a girl like this two years ago. You're describing her to a T, except the homeless part. However, this little girl has lived through her father dying of a gunshot. Anyway, about your girl. I also separated "Leslie" from the class, but I put her right on the chalkboard so that if she talked to anyone, she'd HAVE to turn around. When she was in the back, she was calling everyone and they were turning around.

I kept Leslie in from PE one day and talked with her about her behavior. Why does she back talk, does she think that is helping anything, what can she do to change for the better, etc. Have a one on one with her, chances are she doesn't get that opportunity.

One thing I did was take the incentive charts and I told her that if she can start getting better conduct grades, we can give stickers and prizes. First, we started at a D....yes, Leslie got F's every day. Once we got a few days with D, we moved it up to getting two C's the next week. AFter she got two C's, then our goal moved up. After a while, she was getting B's and sometimes A's. We always added the stickers at the end of the day and on occasion I would buy her a candy bar of choice and she could take it home.

hth

16. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 17, 2006

You may have also opened Pandora's Box by mentioning she is the most intelligent one in the room. She could actually qualify for Gifted and need a new challenge. Some students act out consistently so they can think about other things...

17. MandaNicole01

MandaNicole01 Habitué

Aug 17, 2006

I'm so glad you had a good day today! :)

18. brett158

brett158 Companion

Aug 18, 2006

I read about this idea and started using it and it worked miracles. I made a cutout of a person with a head, arms, and legs. I explained to the class that talking back is hurtfull and everytime i heard anyone talking back to me or another classmate my little person would loose a piece of him. I would attach the person to my shirt with a safety pin and as the day went along off came a leg, etc. If the class was able to go a whole week without loosing a piece of the person they would recieve a party. WELL the rest of the class certainly wasnt going to let those couple of kids cause them to loose a party..the peer pressure worked great and it really gave them a visual that it hurts people when you talk back to them.

19. luvmykids

luvmykids Companion

Aug 18, 2006

I agree with this. I would try and challenge her more. She just might be bored in your room and not know how to redirect her focus. It sounds like you are on the right track with her. I hope it continues.