Stop the mail!!!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by TrademarkTer, Dec 20, 2017.

1. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Dec 20, 2017

Any of you have experience with this?

I moved into a new apartment like 6 months ago. I have been still receiving packages and mail of the previous tenant. I understand it the first month or two, but 6 months in, and I still get his crap like at least 3 days a week, and it's really, really annoying. I can't just leave it in my small mailbox, so I take it out and write "RETURN TO SENDER" on it, and put it in the mailbox down the road. I've called the post office about this, and they said they'd take care of it, but they clearly haven't. (It's even gotten to the point where I write them funny notes like "Hey hey! Ho Ho! [previous tenant's name]'s mail has got to go! Hey hey! Ho ho!"

I also get some FedEx packages, which I return to the nearest FedEd drop box on my way to work with similar "Return to Sender" notes.

It's really annoying because it's an extra chore that I feel I am constantly doing. As I said, I get it the first month or two, but at this point, it's out of hand. Any other options I have? (There are times I've been really tempted to just throw it out rather than make the extra trip, but I know that's illegal.)

3. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Dec 20, 2017

Yes. Based on the variety of names, I estimate that I am receiving mail from the apartment's last 3 tenants. I too tried the return to sender thing and that didn't work. I still get all of their terrible junk mail. (It is literally terrible. A bunch of fake natural health news crap masquerading as real medicine with ads targeting old folks.)

I've given up. If I see mail with someone else's name on it, it just goes in the trash. Don't care if it's illegal. They should have changed their address. It's also ALL junk mail.

4. janlee

janlee Devotee

Dec 20, 2017

I still get mail addressed to the person I purchased my home from and that was 15 years ago. In the trash it goes.

SpecialPreskoo likes this.
  5. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Dec 20, 2017

My mom gets her neighbor's mail regularly. They've lived next to each other for 48 years. Day & Lay are similar, but geez people. Get it right.

6. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Dec 21, 2017

Honestly, after this long, anything delivered to me by UPS or FedEx would be thrown away as well. I'm guessing that stuff is junk as well. Since you don't have to sign for it, it ceases to be your responsibility. Mail mix ups happen, but mail that continues to come this far after the move I would call trash. I will deliver mail from a block over - honest mistake. What OP has is prior tenant indifference.

I probably should consider, however, that junk mail is very similar to unsolicited phone calls. They (a computer) find your phone number or address and voila - they will try to contact you forever. I get advertiser and spam callers on my cell phone for things I have never even looked at, so maybe the prior tenants are not really at fault.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2017
  7. viola_x_wittrockiana

viola_x_wittrockiana Comrade

Dec 22, 2017

Previous tenant mail happened to me too. My landlord took care of it with the post office. I would either have your landlord send a notice to the previous tenant (assuming their new address is on file) or try going to the post office to explain the situation. Take proof of your tenancy with you. Technically, no one but that person can stop their mail, but I know for a fact that they've done it under other circumstances.

You are under no obligation with FedEx. My parents keep getting other people's packages because the delivery people don't check the house numbers, so they called FedEx to come get the boxes and re-deliver. FedEx refused to come and told my parents to do re-delivery themselves or keep it.

8. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 29, 2017

How annoying! I don't know if you rent from a corporation or private landlord, but see what they can do about it. Corp. for me and I only get junk envelopes from a past tenant occasionally, but it's no trouble on my end. Can your landlord or leasing office call the post office and inform them that it's you at your address and NOT any of those past people?

9. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jan 2, 2018

Go fill out a change of address card and have it sent to a random address? Like Santa's Workshop in North Pole, Alaska?

10. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

Jan 2, 2018

This is actually illegal, though it would be really nice to do for all the junk mail that comes for old residents. The change of address form lets you know that MANY times throughout the process of acquiring the form and filling it out online.

SpecialPreskoo likes this.
  11. Mshope2012

Mshope2012 Companion

Jan 2, 2018

I still get Xmas cards from the former owners of my house ten years later. I used to do the "Return to Sender" thing. Now, I toss it unless it looks important. Then, I put "wrong address-return" on it. I also get mail from relatives who live in my neighborhood. Usually, it is junk, but I just take it to them. I do everything online so the only mail I get are cards and junk mail.

You are very kind to take those packages to Fed Ex. I really don't know what to tell you. Wonder what is in them?

12. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jan 2, 2018

I don't understand how the postal workers can keep delivering mail to a residence when they know the people do not live there anymore. After seeing "do not live here" or "wrong address" on the mail for a few months why does it kept getting delivered? I'm referring to the people who have the same mail carriers for a long period of time (my mail carrier hasn't changed in about 2 years) but seriously don't get they tired of delivering the wrong mail? LOL

futuremathsprof likes this.
  13. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jan 2, 2018

Job security. . .

14. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jan 2, 2018

:p You're probably right!