Stop raining on my parade, dang it

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Bella2010, Mar 13, 2014.

1. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Mar 13, 2014

So, my new job is in 3rd grade. Our ding-dong state super passed a law that all 3rd graders must score proficient on their 3rd grade reading test before being promoted to 4th grade. I'm really thinking if enough parent and teachers raise a fuss, it won't last longer than a year. I think this will be especially true if our current state super gets voted out - please dear God. There are exceptions, what they are IDK, but I know they are there and assume I'll have some info and/or training on them this summer.

About 75% of the people who find out I'm teaching 3rd grade are telling me how they wouldn't want that grade because of this new law and asking me if I know what I'm getting myself into. However, I also feel that I'll have a lot of resources to help me. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that every kid will pass, I'm just saying that the kids and I will have a lot of resources available to us to get everyone as close as possible.

Okay, yes, it makes me nervous. I remember one of my professors telling us that we might not get the grade we want but have to deal with it if that's the school we want to be at.

I know they don't mean anything by it. It's just, bleh.

3. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

Mar 13, 2014

This is being implemented in my school next year too. I have very little information on it either. However, congrats on the new job and keep looking forward to it.

4. 1st-yr-teacher

1st-yr-teacher Comrade

Mar 13, 2014

That is the law in my state. They are given a chance to retake the test tho. In fifth, it's math and reading that must be passed.

5. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Mar 13, 2014

In my state we have the same thing. State scores can be overridden to pass a child. EX. My daughter is an A student in everything but math. She is a B student and has a made a C. She didn't pass her math test last year. Missed it by one question. If Math had been the test that had to pass a committee of teachers, principals and me would have sat down and been given the task of deciding if she could pass the next year math classes. There are several things that I think attributed to her not passing one of which she had a first year overwhelmed teacher. Loved her as a person math is just the subject for her.