Stone Fox

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Beth2004, Dec 25, 2005.

1. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Dec 25, 2005

I've never read this book, but the class that I'm subbing in read it in early November before I got there. They were given an assignment to write an 11th chapter for the book (I guess the book only has 10). The regular teacher had started collecting the essays before she left for her maternity leave, but hadn't gotten them from all of the students so none of them were graded. I wanted to make sure that all of the assignments were finished before vacation (there were others too) so I gave the students a TON of time to complete any unfinished writing assignments and collected them all last Thursday. Now I'm left with the task of grading them all, which is fine, except I've never read Stone Fox so I'm not exactly sure how to grade them. I'll be grading them on spelling and grammar, but I'd like to be sure they understood the book as well as that was the point of the assignment, I'm sure. The regular teacher just had her baby a week ago so now really isn't the time to be bothering her with emails, but I don't want to be grading these things until February! :eek: Anyway, if anyone could help me out a little by telling me what happens in the book it'd be GREATLY appreciated! :)

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 26, 2005

Stone Fox is one of my favourite books to use with my class. It is very short (only 10 chapters) and the ending is always a great surprise (WARNING...I give away the ending below!) Kids love the book, and usually hate the ending. Writing an eleventh chapter is a great idea! Here's a brief summary...
    Little Willy lives with his grandfather on a farm in Wisconson. Grandfather becomes very sick and Willy learns that they are about to lose the farm because his grandfather has not been paying the taxes. Willy enters a dogsled race hoping to win the prize to save the farm and help make his grandfather well again. Willy's main rival in the race is Stone Fox...a stern Native American who always wins with his team of Samoyds. Willy's sled is pulled only by his pet dog Searchlight. Willy trains hard and believes that he can win the race. The race is a close one, with Willy leading coming back into town (and the finish line). As they are racing toward the line, with victory in sight, Searchlight suddenly collapses and dies. Stone Fox stops beside Willy, then stops the other racers allowing Willy to carry Searchlight over the finish line and win the prize money, saving the farm.
    I can't say I envy you reading and marking all of those new chapters, but I think that I may give this assignment myself next time I do this book.

4. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Dec 26, 2005

go to the public library and check out a copy of the book, if you don't have a copy and read the book. Won't take you long.

5. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Dec 27, 2005

There are copies of the book in the classroom so that's not the issue. The problem is that I have 6 different essays to grade right now (for 21 students) and their last book reports that were due right before vacation plus I'm writing up my plans for the next Science unit and book that we're going to be reading after vacation....on top of working a few days this week for extra money. It probably wouldn;t take me too long to read it, but I don't really have any time right now.

6. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Dec 27, 2005

Thank you very much, that helps a lot! :)

7. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Dec 29, 2005

i am on chapter eight with my daughter and didnt know the ending. OOPS! She is required to read it over xmas for a class project they are to complete in January. BTW... second grade

8. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 29, 2005

Sorry for the spoiler (although I did warn you). My one rule with this book is that the kids who finish quickly can't tell the ending! I always know when they have finished, however, because they come into class and give me a "dirty look". I love using this book when discussion prediction...they always think that they know exactly what is going to happen!

9. janlee

janlee Devotee

Dec 29, 2005

It's unfortunate that you won't have the time to read this excellent book. I read it to my class in one afternoon. They wouldn't let me stop. When I give reports for my students to write I use 3 basic areas to grade - neatness, main idea and supporting details, spelling and punctuation. I give a check plus, check, check minus as a grade in each area. It sure makes things simple because all students are not capable of producing the same type of work. By using this system I am grading them on what I know they can and can't do.