Stock Market Game Anyone?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by SingBlueSilver, Sep 10, 2009.

1. SingBlueSilver

SingBlueSilver Companion

Sep 10, 2009

Anyone play the Stock Market Game in their class? Contemplating using this site with my class:
    http://stocksquest.coe.uga.edu/C001759/stocksquest/mystocks.htm
    I'm a bit fearful though because I've never done it with a class. I played when I was in elementary school, but can barely remember what I did or what the class did. That site has a lot of support materials for the classroom which I like. I have 7 available classroom computers and was wondering how it would play out.

3. UCLACareerChngr

UCLACareerChngr Comrade

Sep 11, 2009

I've done stock market games before, but I teach in a computer lab where everyone has access to a computer, so they do it individually. With 7 classroom computers, I would put them into teams, form investment companies, and then have them work together. Definitely can be done...

Whether you have them do the investments inside of class or outside of class, probably the important thing is to start to teach them WHY you want to buy certain things. Otherwise, they'll buy the 2-3 companies that they've heard of (apple, google, etc) and then never change.

Also, I wouldn't plan to spend a ton of time on this type of activity, maybe just a few minutes a day. You can assign research as homework, maybe? I know the more time we spend on it they tend to get a little bored.

Good luck,

4. teacherandcoach

teacherandcoach New Member

Sep 16, 2009

What did you decide on the stock market game? I did one of these back when I was in high school, but have not done one (this is my second year teaching Econ) as a teacher. I think the best thing to do may be just to have the kids all pick one stock and have them track it over the course of the semester, then do some sort of project/presentation on the company. This may be less time consuming and a little more practical. Just a thought!

5. SingBlueSilver

SingBlueSilver Companion

Sep 16, 2009

I haven't yet started and am still thinking about if I should or not...Things are kind of up in the air right now as far as WHAT I will be teaching, so I don't want to get too involved in anything if I suddenly have to change gears on the students in terms of what I teach them.

This is actually a really good idea. So hopefully I will be able to do this with my students...

6. Doug_HSTeach_07

Doug_HSTeach_07 Comrade

Sep 19, 2009

Yes! SMG is awesome. Our school's team got picked to be a super team this year, so we're pretty pumped about that. It's a lot of fun but I think the main problem you'll have is getting kids to work on it outside of school.