Stipend for wifi???

Discussion in 'General Education' started by ecteach, May 16, 2020.

1. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

May 16, 2020

I am really curious if anyone has been offered money to pay for their wifi (or other materials to use for home teaching) during the COVID19 Remote Learning.

Also, do you know any teachers who don't have wifi and can't teach from home because of it? About 8 years ago I went for about a year without internet, because I couldn't afford it. Things are better now, but I do know many teachers struggle financially.

Once again, just curious.

Tired Teacher likes this.
  3. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

May 16, 2020

We were told to let our district know if we did not have sufficient internet access to work from home. Apparently they would have paid for it.

4. whizkid

whizkid Groupie

May 16, 2020

I've read where many have suggested that internet access should be a public good and I agree.

bella84 and Tired Teacher like this.
  5. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

May 16, 2020

I know a few people who don’t have internet because it’s not available in their area. We still have some rural areas that do not have access.

We all have school-issued Chromebooks.

6. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

May 16, 2020

I believe that my district would have paid for internet for teachers who didn't have it. To my knowledge, I don't know of anyone who was in that situation. I can't imagine not having internet at home- I use it constantly! I'm in an urban area so availability of internet isn't an issue.

The idea of districts paying for teacher's internet was brought up on a state union page I'm on. Apparently one district is sending out $200 to teachers to cover internet. While I certainly wouldn't turn that down, districts are all in a dire budget situation now and I'd rather them not spend money that could be used to prevent salary cuts than receive a small one time payment. I can sort of see the argument that they should pay if they're requiring you to use it, but again, everyone I know uses their wifi all of the time and not just for work, so that seems a bit disingenuous. If someone truly didn't have it before the district would have to make accommodations, if not paying for the internet, possibly allowing the teacher to come in and work at the district office where social distancing measures could be put in place.

7. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

May 16, 2020

I think that some states with wide open spaces and less availability might have teachers who struggle to have good internet service - see some of the commercials for wireless or satellite internet. I'm in NJ, and 15 years ago our internet service was less than stellar, but not totally unavailable. Our roads are not laid out in nice, neat grids, such as those I grew up with in Kansas City. It creates problems because we don't have buried cables for phone/internet lines. But most of us have internet service now, without great difficulty. Even without great reception at the home, we have enough locations that offer free wi-fi service that I believe a teacher would be able to make things work. I also think that if schools knew that internet service was unavailable, there would be some effort made to pay for more expensive service, if needed for the job, or other accommodations could be made.

8. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 16, 2020

My school provided Chromebooks and/or hotspots to anyone--staff or students--in need.

Tired Teacher likes this.
  9. whizkid

whizkid Groupie

May 17, 2020

Not even satellite internet?

10. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

May 17, 2020

My school is giving each staff member a stipend in case we need to boost our bandwidth, mostly for the use of our work phones (which are pretty much a desktop app).

11. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

May 17, 2020

The only people I know who have satellite internet have a lot of trouble with it. It is very unreliable, and they pay a lot for it. We are a high-poverty area, so being able to afford it would be an issue as well.

SpecialPreskoo likes this.
  12. Caballo21

Caballo21 Rookie

May 17, 2020

My school paid for equipment (minus tax) for what I needed as far as making videos go - 2 tripods. We already have computers from school, and I already had internet. I did upgrade my router, as my connection was bad. But I did not ask them to reimburse this.

13. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Groupie

May 17, 2020

That was 1 of the 1st issues brought up along w/ paying for our cell phones and electricity. We were given a stern "NO!" for an answer. ( I did not bring it up, but a friend did.)
    We were told if we didn't want to work from home, they'd set us up in an isolated room.
    I only know 1 teacher who still goes to work ( at another school) because she doesn't have a good home computer.
    The laptops we were given were crappy. You have to use them for certain programs, but most teachers use their home computers for most things. If you had to use the laptop for everything, it'd take you 2x as long to get anything done.

14. Caballo21

Caballo21 Rookie

May 17, 2020

I will also add that I factored in some things with regard to remote instruction costs - I am actually saving quite a lot of money on gas right now, since I have about a half hour commute each way. In the end that difference paid for the router and would also likely cover any upgrade in internet speed I may need should this move forward like this in the fall.

15. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

May 18, 2020

We have hotspots available for any students or staff in need. Most don't need them.