Stinky 6th Grade Classroom

Discussion in 'Secondary Education Archives' started by DarthAlan, Jul 1, 2005.

1. DarthAlan

DarthAlan Rookie

Jul 1, 2005

My wife is moving from primary grade teaching to teaching a 6th grade class next year. She is really excited about this move. The only problem everyone keeps telling her is that the boys and girls smell horrible. I am wondering what would be the best way to tell the kids at teh beginning of the year that they need to take multiple showers and use deoderant. Any suggestions?

3. sdhudgins

sdhudgins Comrade

Jul 1, 2005

uh pretty much suck it up and deal with it.... even if they bathe/shower right before school, they are going to stink by the end of the day. I don't know if they have the opportunity to shower after pe or not, but I would definately encourage them to do so if they do have that opportunity. I know we did and I hated ot do it!
    Sixth graders do stink, and about the only thing you can do is the plug ins or the like with neutralizers in them!!!

Last edited: Jul 1, 2005
  4. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Jul 1, 2005

I remember in 7th grade the nurse having to come in and telling us to shower and use deordorant. This was because one girl did not shower. Maybe the nurse can come in and teach them about hygiene

5. AnonyMS

AnonyMS 7th grade ELA SDI in Texas

Jul 1, 2005

I used to melt a scented candle in a mini-crockpot.

I'd also take kids aside who smelled worse than others and tell them that they needed to bathe (soon).

Another thing is... when winter rolls around, remind the kids to get their jackets washed before they wear them again. Especially if they are wearing last year's jacket or a hand-me-over.

6. CanadianTeacher

CanadianTeacher Groupie

Jul 1, 2005

Incorporated it into a health lesson.

Or

Incorported it as a must have for phys-ed class by providing them with a list (i.e. To be properly prepared for phys. Ed. you will need to bring the following things to every class: proper phys. ed. attire, deordorant, etc...

Just explain to them that everybody sweats and at their age this will be a new concern. If it's not taken care of, it smells (I'm sure they have all smelled a sweaty person before), so they need to be aware of it and prevent problems and embarrassment by wearing deodorant on a regular basis. I think the topic is much less threatening if discussed as a group and before there are any issues. Hope that helps.

7. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Jul 1, 2005

Cover UP --at the Dollar Store you can buy a candle hot plate. Place a candle on them and enjoy the fresh smell. Works like a candle, but no flame.

8. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jul 1, 2005

I kept deodorant in my room last year. I had 2 spray cans (manly smell and powder). Anyone who needed it, used it. I even had a couple of kids bring their own from home once they realized they could. Never had a parent complaint, the kids never had a problem with it, and the room smelled much better! :D

9. karrie723

karrie723 Rookie

Jul 1, 2005

stinky kids

You should absolutely have spray deodorant. I use two GLAD plug-ins (scented oil type) in my room, and everyone always says how nice smelling my room is. In my school, we would not be allowed to use a candle or the candle warmer, due to fire hazard or some silly kid sticking their finger into the hot wax and damaging themselves or others. Also talking to the kids about hygiene the 1st day of school is a must. I also make light of the situation with joking and spray a few kids, more so on the child who may need a little more. No child has ever felt badly by doing this.

10. k_canuck

k_canuck Rookie

Jul 3, 2005

hi.... i taught 5th grade this year... and had a few smelly ones in the class!! lol!! We made a big joke out of it as summer approached... i'd remind them that they would ALL be smelly after pe class and to make sure they remembered deodorant etc... the school nurse also spoke to the girls and showed them thebathroom with the spray deodorant in it - think this might have been useful for the boys too! make it fun, part of the class routine, and then kids won't be embarassed about it!!

11. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

Jul 3, 2005

Maybe your school nurse can send a note home to the parents before school starts just reminding them of their changing bodies and personal hygiene??

12. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Jul 3, 2005

I kept a big jar of potpourri on my desk, but it wasn't because my kids smelled bad. I never noticed anything like that; maybe it's because the health teacher across the hall used 'personal hygiene' as his first lesson of the year, and each kid was given a bag with anti-perspirant, toothpaste, shower gel, etc, in it, as a 'welcome to the world of teens' present.

Plus, I often said ". . . and I love you all, even though you're teenagers and your sweat now officially stinks."

I so loved my middle school kids. That age just ROCKS with cool.

13. jenniatek

jenniatek Companion

Jul 4, 2005

I don't have the smelly kids problem but I like the idea of the glade plug-ins or something like that to make the room smell fresh. Does anyone have a scent to recommend? I'm thinking something not too perfumy or flowery, and not vanilla, the kids will be starving all day! Any suggestions? Something subtle, fresh.

14. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

Jul 4, 2005

There is an ocean breeze one as well as one which smells like clothes drying on the line, actually a nice scent! It may not be Glade, possibly AirWick or Renuzit.

15. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jul 4, 2005

Any of the citrus ones are nice. My friend (and co-teacher) bought me a candle warmer (the fire marshall finally made us get rid of our regular candles) and some of the wax wafers for it. She got cookies and cream. My stomach growled all day. They smell wonderful, but I would STRONGLY recommend you stay away from the food ones. (not good for your diet! :D)
    I have some almost used up Pumpkin spice candles that do well on the warmer, they have a wonderful scent as well.

16. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 4, 2005

Is the warmer an electrical one like the potpourri things?

17. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 4, 2005

Christy,
    Is the candle warmer ok by the fire marshal? Sounds like a good alternative. We are not even allowed to have candles on our desk, even if they are never lit.

18. lowrie

lowrie Companion

Jul 4, 2005

I think you're absolutely on the mark here.

Something to think about as well, with the suggestions of scented products. I have serious fragrance allergies. I cannot wear fragrances or be in closed rooms with them, I'd really be suffering if I spent all day with scented candles, pot pourri, scented oils etc. So, be aware you may have smelly students in your classes but you might also have some with fragrance allergies. I couldn't have functioned in school all day with a teacher using fragrances in the room!

I have a friend who teaches grade six and the first day of school she explains to the students that now that they are in grade six, they will notice changes and the biggest change is that their sweat will stink. She shows them deodorant and shows them how it is used and tells them to ask their parents to get them some. She's never had a problem.

19. DotyMath

DotyMath Rookie

Jul 10, 2005

Best Air Freshener

I have found that the Glade scented oil fans work the best at getting the scent out into the classroom. Most plug in air fresheners have a scent that stays in the area where it is plugged, but the fans really do work. I have had teachers from down the hall come into my room wondering where the good smell was coming from. I use an apple cinnamon scent at school and it has worked for me. But I don't use the scent at home, because it reminds me of work! :)

20. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Jul 10, 2005

Yes, the candle hot plates plugs into electricy. It is about four inches by four inches.

21. spadine

spadine New Member

Jul 15, 2005

stinky kids

My precious babies STUNK!!!!!!! (especially after PE!) This smell gets more pronounced as the year progresses. It doesn't seem to have anything to do with hygene, just hormones. Occasionally one would notice it and quietly ask me to go to the guidance counselor for deodorant. I did have one student who seemed to have forgotten to take a bath for about a week. I didn't notice this until he sat next to me at lunch one day. The quarter inch of crud underneath his fingernails told the tale. I called his mother who said that she had been working nights and was unaware that his grandmother was not making him take a bath. I never had this problem again.

The best thing to do is keep nice smelling things in your room and not to call attention to it as they really do get horribly embarassed!!!

22. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 15, 2005

Have you tried the Febreze Scentstories? It plugs in like a CD player and the disks make a scent. It's not too strong, though you can put the fan on high. There are always coupons out for it. My grocery star had them way reduced.

23. stace615

stace615 Rookie

Jul 31, 2005

I love the idea of "goodie" bags for thie kids! I have a 7th grade classroom, somedays were worse than others. However---football season was the worst! The boys all brought their equipment into the classroom and WOW. I did the rain garden plug-ins and it worked.

About mid year, the girls started trying to cover their sweaty smells with body spray! 15 different scents, put on heavily -- I had to ask the girls to lighten up. So I think the goody bag and a health lesson welcoming them to the teen scene would be great!!!

24. shandannon1

shandannon1 Rookie

Aug 5, 2005

MAN!! Im a first year teacher teaching 6th grade this year...and ya'll are really scaring me!!! LOL

25. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Aug 5, 2005

With my sixth graders last year, I used car air fresheners from Wal-Mart. I didn't have an extra plug for my plug-ins and I couldn't have candles. I used the ones shaped like a candle jar in cucumber melon and always got compliments on how fresh the room smelled...even after the kids came in from recess and pe! The air fresheners are about a dollar for two and one is enough for several weeks.