Stink Bomb!

Discussion in 'Behavior Management' started by Mystique, May 7, 2009.

1. Mystique

Mystique Rookie

May 7, 2009

As my class walks out to their next next class, I'm helping a student with my back turned, and all of a sudden a big bang sounds out from my garbage can. I immediately asked the students remaining in my room, "What was that?" Of course, no one knew anything and before I knew it, the foul smell exploded throughout the room.

This is the first time this has happened to me, and I feel dumb for saying this, but I took it personal. I wasn't feeling well to begin with, and once this happened, I felt negative the whole day.

I guess I just get fed up at times when I'm working so hard to help these kids learn and get their work finished, and this is what I get in return.

I just wanted to vent about my stinky day...

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 7, 2009

Ah, man, I hate those things.

And for some reason, spring tends to be the "season" for them.

As hard as it is, try not to take it personally. It's a function of the age of the kids you teach-- middle school boys find that stuff funny. They didn't do it to you; they did it for a laugh.

4. Mystique

Mystique Rookie

May 7, 2009

Thanks for the message. I really needed that:angel:

5. teachbugz

teachbugz Rookie

May 13, 2009

5-13-09

When I did my LTS for a local school district, I was hit with that nonsense all the time. At the time I was new to teaching and subbing, like you, I felt bad and took it personally. I reflected that my lack of experience was causing these situations to occur. Now, after almost 4 years of subbing, these incidents are nothing more than childish pranks signaling the end of another school. :dizzy:

6. scooter503

scooter503 Comrade

May 13, 2009

When I read your thread name, I wasn't expecting it to actually be about a stink bomb. I get "stink bombs" daily in my room...in the form of farts. 70% of my class is boys, and for whatever reason, gas is a huge problem. We keep cans of air freshener handy at all times!

7. frogger

frogger Devotee

May 14, 2009

Yeah boys think a lot of stuff is funny when it isn't and they want to be cool with their friends - try and not take it personally.