stimulus and jobs/budgetting

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by USCgrad, Mar 2, 2009.

1. USCgrad

USCgrad Companion

Mar 2, 2009

So....from what I am understanding, the stimulus given to states will avoid teacher layoffs and increase the likelihood that teachers who are leaving for various reasons will be replaced....

what are your thoughts on this?

3. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

Mar 2, 2009

My state is reluctant to use it for that, they still want to cut our budgets. I sure hope they do use it, I don't want any higher class sizes than we already have. And I would hate for all those new teachers to lose their jobs.

4. USCgrad

USCgrad Companion

Mar 2, 2009

i thought the stimulus package was spelled out as to how it was supposed to be used and congress is going to check to ensure the money was used for its appropriated cause......

anyway, i hope they do too...i want to change schools, states actually and need jobs to come open in order to apply for them!!

5. Historyteaching

Historyteaching Cohort

Mar 2, 2009

The stimulus comes with alot of..stipulation and things it can't be used for. I hope it helps with teacher cuts-I'm one that could be cut. I know it specifies the type of renovations you can use it for.

6. kalli007

kalli007 Companion

Mar 3, 2009

Well thats what I was hoping - but the local paper stated my ISD will be cutting the budget and not hiring for 09-10. Even though they are losing some teachers they are not going to replace them. Doesnt sound good to me.....

7. Irissa

Irissa Cohort

Mar 3, 2009

My county just announced it is cutting 450 positions. 270 of those are teachers. Hope things are turned around in a year or two when I need to come back.

8. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Mar 3, 2009

The stimulus bill has tons of requirements attached to it. States aren't allowed to cut and most of it is earmarked for Title I and IDEA. It can't be used for general funds. That part is from the stabilization fund. It shall be interesting. Whoever wrote the education component really took the time to make sure that states couldn't cut education just to replace it with stimulus funds.

I think next year there will be more ESE positions but not much else.

9. TampaTeacher2Be

TampaTeacher2Be Comrade

Mar 3, 2009

From my (admittedly very limited) understanding of the whole situation, earmarking the stimulus funds for teacher salaries is little more than a band-aid. I think that to really fix this problem, states are going to have to get smarter about how they spend the money they have - so that more money can be freed up permanently to hire more teachers, and give existing teachers the raises they deserve.

However, when policy makers look to stretch the budget - they seem to favor doing so in ways that are detrimental to the kids - increasing class sizes, limiting or completely removing specials, cutting out field trips or extracurriculuars. That is why sometimes I wonder if we would be better off as a nation is education were privatized - if gov't contractors put in "bids" to run the school districts. Form my experience, at least, there is so much red tape and B.S. that goes on in the public school system, which would be quickly eliminated if a private company knew that the fate of their contract with the government were dependent upon it.

10. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Mar 3, 2009

I'm with you on that one!:thumb:

11. kalli007

kalli007 Companion

Mar 3, 2009

I'm new to the Education system, but have worked in the Govmt for 10 years - and I can tell you that privatization is a nightmare. The Govmt is certainly not the best run machine, and there is too much red tape, but privatization (read $$$) opens up a whole 'nother can of worms. You think teacher salaries suck now? Private Co's would cut them even more to maximize their profit.

12. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Mar 3, 2009

I was watching cable news the other night, and even though California is getting a "chunk of change", it's not going to do much, if anything, in terms of hiring more teachers. The state is already in such a deficit. Quite frankly, they SHOULD use that money to JUST hire new teachers, and re-hire all the the many displaced teachers already out there. All I keep hearing is that class sizes are going to increase for the next year, and very little hiring will be going on. :(

13. USCgrad

USCgrad Companion

Mar 4, 2009

The government contract I have worked with have always stipulated a minimum salary amount for the various levels of employees. I think the funding should depend on the happiness of the customer...ie. the children and parents.....combined of course with the quality of education as reflected on the state tests....if it were more of a customer service type situation, administrators would hopefully do a better job holding all accountable for their actions.

14. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 4, 2009

And ignore every other sector that is also hurting?

15. Historyteaching

Historyteaching Cohort

Mar 4, 2009

What gets me is I was told that the stimulus isn't going to be put into the teacher salary fund (or isn't earmarked) however, its marked for renovations on stadiums. I love sports just like the next person-and I know schools want good sports programs to get the students to stay at the school..but if we dont have enough teachers to teach them, they'll go somewhere else anyway.

16. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 4, 2009

I would imagine the idea is that construction work will put more people to work.

17. elizak83

elizak83 Companion

Mar 4, 2009

My school district is really hurting for money...but they even told us that the stimulus funds aren't really going to help for that..it has to go to school construction and special ed programs.

18. kalli007

kalli007 Companion

Mar 4, 2009

From what I understand - which probably aint much! - is that the stim $$ must NOT go to projects such as these, but that the $$ for schools must go directly to academic/education issues.

19. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

Mar 4, 2009

Our legislature has finally decided to use the stimulus money to fund education and keep cuts down to 6%. We probably will still get furloughed for 5 days, that's not good. But at least we shouldn't have mass layoffs.

20. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Mar 4, 2009

Um, no...of course I didn't mean that. I'm talking about within education. Get rid of some of the useless, overpaid admins, etc.

21. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Mar 4, 2009

I heard that the money was supposed to go to help renovate schools that are in dire need of it..

22. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Mar 4, 2009

It just seems fishy to me, I have heard of so many new schools they've built over the past few years. (this is in Los Angelels) so who knows.

23. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Mar 4, 2009

I decided to get up and actually read the education component this morning. There are two areas-state stabilization and education investment.

State Stabilization-provides general funds that state's can use to help with budget deficits. These can be used in almost anyway as long as NO further revenue cuts are made. No cutting taxes just because your getting the money.

Education Investment- Increases IDEA and Title I funding only. The numbers are equivalent to 2 years ago when it was at it's peak. However, districts/states can't allocate money away from these programs and schools to route to other schools. This is where possible job creation comes in. My position was Title I funded last year but the funding was cut. With a Title I increase, teachers could be hired to further reduce class sizes, provide support, etc. Same goes for IDEA.

The school construction is to improve existing schools. It pretty much prohibits building new schools. The idea is to force districts to improve the schools that are typically ignored.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2009
  24. kalli007

kalli007 Companion

Mar 4, 2009

OK, so basically both POV's here were right - just dealing with 2 parts of the Bill? There is a map on CNN, I will go find the link, that gives an estimate of jobs created in each State, Texas stands to keep/gain almost 300k!

25. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Mar 4, 2009

WOOHOO for TX!

26. kalli007

kalli007 Companion

Mar 4, 2009

You aint lyin! I was thrilled to see that!