Still wondering if anyone has any cool classroom theme ideas for 6th grade.....

Discussion in 'Sixth Grade' started by Wallacegirl, Mar 3, 2008.

1. Wallacegirl

Wallacegirl Rookie

Mar 3, 2008

I like the idea about just using all of the bright colors. I just want more. I'm nervous about it being my first year. I just want everything to be perfect. I want the students to love their classroom.

3. emmyblemmy

emmyblemmy Companion

Mar 3, 2008

My piece of advice would be just to not overdo it. By this I mean leave a little bit of wall space blank- don't cover up every single piece of wall you have with posters, etc.! :) If there's too much to look at, it will be overstimulating.

4. Wallacegirl

Wallacegirl Rookie

Mar 4, 2008

I agree. I want to save room for their work and any modeling I do to be hung up in the classroom. As I teach new info we will hang new work up or new posters.

5. carlea

carlea Comrade

Mar 4, 2008

The 6th grade LA/SS teacher at my school has a Hawaiian theme. The paper is fun and colorful, and the titles are catchy, but a little step up from elementary (my school is a small K-8). She has one entire wall full of students' work.

6. Writer02

Writer02 Companion

Mar 11, 2008

When I taught 6th grade in an elementary school, my theme went with my name, Mrs. C's Cool Cats. I had a wild cat up on the door wearing some homemade, laminated sunglasses. He was so cool! Everything I sent home had cats on it. Our back to school night bulletin board was "The Cat's out of the bag." On paper lunch bags, kids had written all their favorites: favorite book, favorite food, etc. They used a worksheet I had made with a cat on it, filled it out, colored it, and glued it to the lunch bag. The cat looked like it was jumping out of the bag when they were done.

Now, I teach 6th grade in middle school. I have a neighbor with a beachy, Hawaiian theme. Her room is decorated with tropical cutouts, and she has a hula "skirt" around her desk. It's very cute.

The themes don't seem to be as big with the teachers in middle school, but my students appreciate my colorful, inviting room. I take time to put up seasonal decorations on my calendar board, and I hang up their work when I can.

My daughter's teacher's theme is Garfield. She loves Garfield, so she has made it her theme. She has Garfield on her newsletters and forms, Garfield posters, stuffed animals, etc. She even had a day the kids could bring in their own Garfield or friend of Garfield (or borrow one of hers). If you take something that relates to you, it can be fun. Your enthusiasm for the "mascot" will spread. I taught next door to someone who grew up on a farm, and her theme was Holstein cows. Her kids were give her cow-themed gifts, too. That helped her decorate even more!

Brainstorm a list, and see what you come up with! What are your hobbies, interests, and what did you like when you were in 6th grade?:cool:

7. Mrs LC

Mrs LC Comrade

Mar 14, 2008

I've never had a decorating theme, but I've always used lots of bright colours. My room doesn't have much up on the first day - the room isn't mine, it's "ours" and as such the kids have a big part to play - they devise a code of conduct (so it's up after the first week, but not before that), word lists, a birthday display, a classroom yellow pages (where kids advertise their talents to share), personal coats of arms - none of these can be done until the kids arrive.

I guess my worry with a theme is that whilst some kids will love it, others will find it childish and corny. :unsure:

Next term we are studying space so there will be heaps of displays along those lines, but as a unit of study, not a theme.:2cents:

8. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Mar 14, 2008

Rock and Roll might be neat. I saw a real nice room like that with albums and cd's on the wall etc

9. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Mar 15, 2008

You could probably find a lot of ideas at a party supply store. You should walk around and see what catches your eye.

10. lostlady21

lostlady21 New Member

Mar 16, 2008

6th Grade Theme

I originally taught 5th grade, and loved doing themes. However, some of them (like bees and frogs) didn't really fit for 6th grade.

Here are themes I've done, or am planning on doing at some point.

Racing (You can find lots of things for bulletin boards, etc. My favorite is the glittery black and white checker border) I use hot pink paper as my background paper.

Classic Hollywood--Silver sparkle border, black paper, silver sparkle letters and accessories from Factory Card Outlet

Pirates (our school mascot)--Black Paper, red border (school colors); pirate accessories

"Learning" Jungle--Black border, tiger and zebra stripe background paper, jungle accessories

11. MissHunny

MissHunny Comrade

Mar 16, 2008

my friend who is a 6th grade teacher has a sports theme. She has a positive reinforcement system that is like getting field goals and when they make a certain score they get a special treat/activity. The sports theme is great if a class really needs help with team work.

12. Gwen

Gwen Companion

May 7, 2008

What about a tropical rain forest theme?