Still want to move up to higher grades.

Discussion in 'General Education' started by sizzla_222, Sep 10, 2012.

1. sizzla_222

sizzla_222 Companion

Sep 10, 2012

hey guys,
    been at my current job for about 3 months. I am teaching third grade. I started at this school waxing floors, then I was an aide last year, and now I finally got a chance to have my own class.

I expressed interest in teaching older grades (middle school) before this year started, but I was told that the P wanted to keep me in elementary as there are no men in these grades.

I am really enjoying 3rd and I can definitely see myself being a teacher for a lonnggg time. But.... I think that I would still like to teach the older grades if a chance came up.

Do you think I should express an interest in this at the end of this year if there are any openings?
    Or will it look like I am ungrateful for being given the opportunity to have my own class?

If I express interest how would I go about doing it?

3. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 10, 2012

I would approach your admin around March or April and tell them that you would be open to a move if an opening appeared.

4. McParadigm

McParadigm Companion

Sep 10, 2012

He unwilling to make big stink unlikely to get moved, I think.

That said, I wouldn't do so until you have established yourself as a genuine asset to the district. Also, give it time. For a lot of people, middle school is like a bathroom stall at the zoo...you were so desperate to get in there, and yet now all you can think about is getting out.

5. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Sep 10, 2012

I would wait until spring, and then bring up that you would prefer the older grades. Perhaps a 5th grade opening will happen, and that is still considered elementary.