Still Out of School Thanks to IKE

Discussion in 'General Education' started by bandnerdtx, Sep 21, 2008.

1. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Sep 21, 2008

Our school district has been out since the Friday before the storm, all this week, and now we'll be out 1/2 of next week. Some schools and districts wont even be able to start then!

The districts are all debating how to make up the lost time. Some people just want to get a waiver (which is allowed by the state) to excuse most of the days, others want to extend the school day to make up the time, and still others want to tack the days on to the end of the year (or shorten Spring Break).

My school operates on an accelerated block, so we have a term finishing up in 3 weeks, one of which is the TAKS retesting week and another is for final exams. So really we're down to 1 1/2 week left of instruction! :dizzy:

What do you guys think? Should we make up the time after school? Excuse it? Add days at the end?

3. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 21, 2008

From an employee's view, I'd want them excused :lol:
    But, from an educational standpoint, I think adding the days in somewhere is the best thing to do.

4. Go 4th

Go 4th Habitué

Sep 21, 2008

I agree with giraffe. I'd appreciate the days off also, but as a parent, I would want my child to get the education they deserve. I think I would prefer extending the school day some, instead of adding on additional days. I mean you are already there anyway. I just love my days off too much!

5. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Sep 21, 2008

We missed 10 days due to Gustav. They decided not to move our 9 weeks exams because that would put midterms after Christmas. We were told to do what we could and the days would be made up during the 3rd and 4th quarters. This means that we are going to lose holidays and will pobably get out a week later than we were.

6. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Sep 21, 2008

Our district, which is on the coastline, has been out since the Thursday before Ike hit, and we were out all last week.

The teachers are scheduled to return this coming Wednesday, but I am not sure when the kids will be back. So, it looks like they may be out for two whole weeks.

I, too, am worried about how this will affect the kids, both in terms of making up work and testing.

I wouldn't mind adding days to the end of the year. I heard from a friend that the brainiacs at HISD want to add an hour to each day to make up for the lost time (someone please explain how that will help).

What sounds like it would be the most viable option to you?

7. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Sep 21, 2008

Some schools in my area were out for months after Andrew...they somehow managed to get through the year. We didn't have FCAT back then, but there was some sort of testing that the state approved to be pushed back for the affected schools. They also added time to the school day, got rid of holidays, early release days and teacher planning days, and added time to the end of the school year. It's not fun, but it CAN be done. Keep a good sense of humor about you...you'll need it.

8. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Sep 21, 2008

I am guessing we will end up with some sort of compromise - we have 2 weather days in our schedule (they were teacher work days) and they could probably take out at least 1 more , giving us 3 days. I remember one year the state allowed the schools to make up one day for every 3 missed. We are hoping to resume Wednesday, but we should know more tomorrow. That would give us 8 days out, if we had to make up 3, we may just lose work days (doesn't matter to me, we would have been there anyway). As far as curriculum, we will have to cut out and combine many things. I am concerned about the fact that I will have to reteach what we have learned as far as letters and sounds and try to catch up on two weeks worth of letters in a very fast-paced program. Also, two of us K teachers still need to complete beginning of the year testing :eek: We also had to cancel one of out field trips that was planned for this week. I have a feeling it won't be rescheduled (at least the parents didn't know about it yet!). It doesn't help that all of the schools are starting back on different days :dizzy:

9. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Sep 21, 2008

Just remember...other people have done it before...and survived. Think about new orleans and adjacent areas a few years ago, the florida gulf coast and central florida after charlie and ivan south florida after wilma (which was compounded by days missed after katrina and rita), and south florida after andrew (parts of the county was back within 2 weeks, other parts took months) and the list goes on (these are just the ones I remember off hand). I wasn't teaching in the at the secondary level (or at all) during those times, so I can't give much advise for re-arranging your curriculum, but maybe some people here were teaching in those parts in the aftermath of those storms. I'm sure they'd be able to give lots of good advise.

10. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Sep 22, 2008

VERY TRUE! That's why I was curious how other communities have handled it! :)

I'm a bit bummed that I'm going to have to ditch the Transcendentalist in my class. We've got to do the Crucible... that's the one piece of literature that they adore and that the senior teachers count on us having taught. (Fine with me because I also love it.)

I'm going to watch the school board meetings and make sure I go when they are making the decisions. I don't think that adding time to the school day will help. Too many of our kids need to work after school to help with family finances, especially now! I would rather see the days added to the end of the school year. I think on that first day back, I'm going to have them do some writing about their hurricane experiences. I have a *great* mini-book produced by Rice University of essays from teens who went through Katrina. I also have a class set of Isaac's Storm; this will be a great year to read it!

11. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Sep 22, 2008

I am planning on having my "little kids" write about their hurricane experience too ;) I have David Wiesner's Hurricane and a book about hurricane hunters that I am planning to read and discuss as well.
    My principal is having a meeting today and we should know more this afternoon about what they are proposing.

12. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Sep 23, 2008

It looks like we will be back to school tomorrow for an in-service day and kids will return Thursday. The school sent a message that said they were "recommending that we make up 4 of the 8 (now 9) missed days with the students so that we can make sure we have adequate instructional time with them. This will be the plan for (our district) no matter which days are forgiven by the state because it is in the best interest of the kids". It is fine with me, much better than adding time to to the day or going further into June! It still has to be officially approved by the board, but I expect that it will.

13. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Sep 23, 2008

We go back tomorrow, but lots of teachers came today just to check in. The powers that be are meeting today to make some decisions as to how many days will make up.

14. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Sep 23, 2008

It should have said that the make-up days were all teacher work days too. Many teachers went by our school as well, but the AC is not working right now, so most left after an hour or two. We really need the work day to revamp the curriculum map and figure out what to do.